Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert Passive Bass pickups into Active?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Passive Bass pickups into Active?

Hey, I wasnt too sure to which thread to put this in, so im sorry if its in the wrong one. But I have a question about my basses. I currently have a knockoff JazzBass that has some cheapo Passive pickups on it. Now I also have an Active Pickup LTD lying around in my room. I have researched ways to maybe steal the pre-amp from the LTD and install it into the Circuit of my Jazz bass? I miss the Powerful high notes my LTD gave but I want to have my Jazz Bass tone. is this possible?

Two questions come to mind.
    Will the preamp fit inside the pocket?
    Will the 9V battery fit?

Comment

I always have an issue with the nomenclature. ALL pickups are passive, whether the preamp is located on the pickup itself or externally. So what you want to do is add a preamp. I just want to remind you that adding a preamp to cheap pickups does NOT make them GOOD pickups, and may or may not result in the sound you are looking for. However, what you want to do can be done, IF you have the room within the bass to do it. Never really an issue with Fender-style basses, as the cavities are usually pretty deep, and there's also always a lot of unrouted space under the pickguard.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
      X