Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground the poles? Ground to cavity shielding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    I think yours looks neater, but I don't think they function any differently. I wouldn't have wired it up like the Bourns chart either.
    So why all the churn?
    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
      So why all the churn?
      Just pointing out that it doesn't matter in regards to the electrical circuit. Saying one way is "correct" implies it works better, not just looks neater, than another way.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Saying one way is "correct" implies it works better, not just looks neater, than another way.
        Um yeah, and saying "correct" is not saying "proper".

Correctness may imply it works better, but "Proper" implies a particular level of style, organisation, ettiquette, expectation or as you say, neetness.

Setting a dinner table has correctness ie; one places knives/forks/spoons/plates/cups etc on the table for use, a "proper" setting implies their placement is a certain way, to certain level of organisation, certain neetness, but does not address the notion of whether or not it works better, or worse than any other way.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Um yeah, and saying "correct" is not saying "proper".

Correctness may imply it works better, but "Proper" implies a particular level of style, organisation, ettiquette, expectation or as you say, neetness.

Setting a dinner table has correctness ie; one places knives/forks/spoons/plates/cups etc on the table for use, a "proper" setting implies their placement is a certain way, to certain level of organisation, certain neetness, but does not address the notion of whether or not it works better, or worse than any other way.
          Proper (adjective) [ attrib. ], in this context, means:

of the required type; suitable or appropriate: an artist needs the proper tools | they had not followed the proper procedures.
          And maybe a tiny bit of:

according to or respecting recognized social standards or conventions
          It's really not the right word to use. The correct word would be "properly"

(adverb) correctly or satisfactorily: ensuring the work is carried out properly | a properly drafted agreement.
          So properly and correctly (and satisfactorily) are interchangeable.

We can infer that if you do the job well, with everything wired correctly, then it was done properly. And that would be satisfactory, and the owner would be satisfied.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Let it go David, it's getting silly now.

And now for something totally different, here's the "correct" (but not "proper") way to travel to world in 80 days...

Click image for larger version

Name:	BigAssBalloon.png
Views:	1
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	823274

a little "levity" there!
            Last edited by RedHouse; 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM.
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Regarding the grounding of poles... wrap a couple turns of #28 un-insulated copper wire around the magnets....
              Note that eventually that connection will get some funk into it because of the dis-similar metals in contact with each other but that will take years if you pot the pickup.
              Might a dab of Ox-Gard (GB Electrical, Inc) be effective in preventing the funk?

Ox-Gard is used to prevent electrical fires where copper and aluminum wiring are combined.

Here is some copy from the label:
              > Anti-oxidant compound for wire connections and aluminum conduit joints
              > Guards against oxidation, improves conductivity and produces a cooler connection.

Later,
              Ralph "Overkill" Barthine
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Even the national anthem has more than three chords.

People who only play simple and complain about those who don't, can't play.
                I find these Oasis and Green Day bashing threads really offensiv... Wait, you said three chords? Let's just leave Bob Dylan alone.
                Valvulados

Comment

Has anyone here successfully silver-soldered wire to Alnico poles? I tried once, but with no joy... however, it was a BIG honkin' magnet- and I was working outside and had to quit when the rain started.

-rb[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to just sit back listen and learn. ^ I was under the impression the heat and Alnico magnets don't mix very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian L View Post
                    Has anyone here successfully silver-soldered wire to Alnico poles? I tried once, but with no joy... however, it was a BIG honkin' magnet- and I was working outside and had to quit when the rain started. I was under the impression the heat and Alnico magnets don't mix very well.
                    If you succeed in silver-soldering (which means at least red heat) alnico, you will surely also succeed in destroying the magnetic properties of the alnico.

If the intent is to connect a ground wire to the pole, I would use purely mechanical methods. Like some 0.003" brass shim stock in the hole before the magnet is pressed into place. Or some shielding paint connecting a wire to the magnet. Or a piece of spring wire snaked around the magnets, so the wire zig-zags.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                      If you succeed in silver-soldering (which means at least red heat) alnico, you will surely also succeed in destroying the magnetic properties of the alnico.
                      Have you tried spot-welding on these magnets? You can limit the welding current to a short loop around a neck of the magnet, not the entire magnet, so you'll probably just affect that particular area.
                      Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                        Have you tried spot-welding on these magnets? You can limit the welding current to a short loop around a neck of the magnet, not the entire magnet, so you'll probably just affect that particular area.
                        You can probably spot weld to alnico, but I bet the resulting weld will be weak and brittle. I've tried spot welding music wire - does not work.

There has to be a reason one never sees anything but mechanical or adhesive fastening of alnico.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                          You can probably spot weld to alnico, but I bet the resulting weld will be weak and brittle. I've tried spot welding music wire - does not work.

There has to be a reason one never sees anything but mechanical or adhesive fastening of alnico.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post

If the intent is to connect a ground wire to the pole, I would use purely mechanical methods....
                            I originally asked about silver-soldering alnico when I came across mention of it at duramag's website
                            Alnico Magnets- Technical Information - Dura Magnetics, Inc. where, near the bottom of the page, it says:

Alnico lends itself to silver soldering operations in certain circumstances. Specific recommendations can be made by our Application and Engineering staff.

At the time (last Summer), my "need" was to ground a "big honking magnet" (not a skinny pole piece). I ended up settling for an "adhesive fastening method" (packing tape, IIR).

-rb

Last edited by rjb; 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM. Reason: "mechanical attachment" to "adhesive fastening"
                            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                              I originally asked about silver-soldering alnico when I came across mention of it at duramag's website
                              Alnico Magnets- Technical Information - Dura Magnetics, Inc. where, near the bottom of the page, it says:

Alnico lends itself to silver soldering operations in certain circumstances. Specific recommendations can be made by our Application and Engineering staff.

At the time (last Summer), my "need" was to ground a "big honking magnet" (not a skinny pole piece). I ended up settling for a "mechanical attachment method" (packing tape, IIR).

-rb

So what did their engineering staff say about it?
                              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post

I've never seen a silver-soldered alnico magnet. I would guess that the heat of silver soldering (assuming that they mean brazing at red heat versus soft soldering with a tin-silver alloy) destroys the magnetic properties, which are then regained by going though the standard alnico heat-treating process.

I suppose that this might be used in Weller TCP soltering irons, where the alnico stays at near soldering temperature for years, so no organic adhesive is going to work.

Or, Weller could be using ordinary furnace cement. Sauereisen - Adhesives and Potting Compounds

Someday I'll take the TCP apart and look.

But the engineering staff will know the story.

Comment

Working...
                                X