Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event 20/20 monitors cut out on low volume

Greetings!

I have a pair of Event 20/20 studio monitors powered by an Alesis amp. For the longest time I have had this issue where the right monitor will cut out at low volume. I had another cheaper amp hooked up prior and always had the same problem. When I notice the problem, I need to crank up the volume on my mixer then the monitor starts working again. It seems to have gotten worse over the past few months.

The sound out of these things has been great over the years, and I hear no quality issues with them at louder volume, so I am not inclined to buy another pair of monitors. My feeling is that this is some sort of signal issue, or there is something in the monitors that has degraded and can be replaced.

I have swapped / shortened the speaker cable, tried different amps, etc.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before?

Open the speaker enclosure & look for something amiss.
    Bad solder on the tab connections?

Comment

Are you sure it's the speaker and not the mixer? Try swapping speakers Left for Right and see if it stays with the speaker or not.

Comment

Does the entire monitor go dead? Or just the woofer?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
          Are you sure it's the speaker and not the mixer? Try swapping speakers Left for Right and see if it stays with the speaker or not.
          Actually I just tried this.

1. Replicated the problem, and swapped cables on the mixer - no change
          2. Replicated the problem, and swapped cables on the amp - speakers switched

It's possible that I don't have the gain high enough on the amp, so the speakers are not getting enough juice on that end.

I am going to keep the gain up to see if that prevents the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Does the entire monitor go dead? Or just the woofer?
            The whole monitor doesn't quite go dead, its at an extremely low volume until turn it up.

It's both the sub and tweeter.

Comment

So the gain on the amp has not had an impact on the problem. I still have the monitor stuck at low / no volume until I juice up the volume going to the monitor. I will try a some more troubleshooting steps, but does anyone know if this could be a sign of old crossovers?

Comment

Probably a sign of something needing to be resoldered. Pull out the crossover and resolder everything on it.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Probably a sign of something needing to be resoldered. Pull out the crossover and resolder everything on it.
                  I have the same problem with my Event 20/20s! Any resolution with resoldering them?

Thanks - Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by krimedog View Post
                    I have the same problem with my Event 20/20s! Any resolution with resoldering them?

Thanks - Andrew
                    Sorry to bring up old thread. Did anyone suss out what was causing this?

I have event 20/20s too, the old ones, '95 i bought them i think. I've had this problem for as long as i can remember. Is not a major issue, usually seems to happen when just switch on, give it a volume boost and kicks back in again. Would love to know why they do it though

Comment

Working...
                    X