Part list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part list

I have to buy all the necessary to wind different kind of pickups.

Humbucker
    - Base plates
    - bobbins (is there a difference from slug and screw side? on some e-store there is this difference...)
    - spacer
    - screw
    - slugs
    - magnets
    - plastic shim
    - 1 cond wire
    - tape (what type? can I use a "normal" tape that I have in the house? Should I buy too a copper tape?)
    - lead wire (is this wire the same that I should use in single coil pickups?)

Strato single coil
    forbon base
    magnets
    eyelets
    cover
    cloth wire

Tele single coil
    forbon base
    brass base
    magnets
    eyelets
    cloth wire
    Tele Bridge Pickup Coil String (is it necessary)

wax (is it particular wax, or can I get in "normal shop"?) for single coil (I don't pot humbucker, because I am interesting in vintage pickups)

Copper wire (for now I'd get only PE 42 -- I have find this 500G ENAMMELED COPPER WINDING WIRE / MAGNET WIRE 42 AWG | eBay, but I'm not sure that is a plain enamel because on the specs there is Coating Class Polyester 180 Dual Coat). The seller says me that is PE... mhhhh...

Do I have need to something else?

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by Marco78; 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM.

you will want single coat ,& im not sure if that is even Plain Enamel wire
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      you will want single coat ,& im not sure if that is even Plain Enamel wire
      Now I get single coil but I don't wind it because I don't have a guitar to install and try it. Single coil are PE too, not only heavy formvar.

Comment

Sorry but I meant the Plain enamel used by most of us ,for pickups is not double or heavy build wire
        The double build wire used in pickups is Heavy formvar or hpn
        Last edited by copperheadroads; 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          Sorry but I meant the Plain enamel used by most of us ,for pickups is not double or heavy build wire
          The double build wire used in pickups Heavy formvar or hpn
          Sorry but I don't understand because my english is poor. I know that in vintage pickups is used plain enamel for PAF and single coil and heavy formvar only for single coil. Is it true?

Comment

yes

Comment

Marco78, you might try checking out the Sticky Pickup Makers FAQ, it is the top Sticky link when you log into the Pickup Makers Forum. Most of the usual sources are noted with links, and there are suppliers listed for most of the items you have listed. The wire you posted doesn't look like PE to me. Try BAE instead.
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Your list doesn't include tape or lacquer for the Fender style pickup bobbins to protect the wire from shorting against the magnets. You will also want black cloth tape for the HB coils and if you want to make certain vintage Tele pickups you may want to wrap them with a white or black cotton string.

You might want to fill in the geographical details of your profile so that we can better help you with local sources. I assume you live in Italy but that's only because your link to ebay is all in Italian.

The Brocotts wire is clearly marked Polyester 180C, class H. This is not "Plain Enamel" -in this title they use "enameled" as a generic term for varnish insulated wire.
                The auction states this is "solderable wire" but that has not been my experience, at least not with HAPT 180 which is the only polyester insulation I have experience with.
                Last edited by David King; 10-15-2011, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                  Marco78, you might try checking out the Sticky Pickup Makers FAQ, it is the top Sticky link when you log into the Pickup Makers Forum. Most of the usual sources are noted with links, and there are suppliers listed for most of the items you have listed. The wire you posted doesn't look like PE to me. Try BAE instead.
                  Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Your list doesn't include tape or lacquer for the Fender style pickup bobbins to protect the wire from shorting against the magnets. You will also want black cloth tape for the HB coils and if you want to make certain vintage Tele pickups you may want to wrap them with a white or black cotton string.

You might want to fill in the geographical details of your profile so that we can better help you with local sources. I assume you live in Italy but that's only because your link to ebay is all in Italian.

The Brocotts wire is clearly marked Polyester 180C, class H. This is not "Plain Enamel" -in this title they use "enameled" as a generic term for varnish insulated wire.
                  The auction states this is "solderable wire" but that has not been my experience, at least not with HAPT 180 which is the only polyester insulation I have experience with.
                  Thanks for your advice on wire. I have contact Essex and they offer a 1-2 lb spool of 42 enamel, msw only offer 6 lb that are to much for me. I think that buy the 42 PE from Essex. Is it good PE?
                  I don't know the lacquer for fender bobbins. Can you link this product from StewMcDonald site? I'll get the tape for the hb from SMD too. What measures have I choose?

Tnx a lot for you big help!

Comment

Another question: rod magnets are made in a lot of lenght. I have to sell non staggered magnets for strato and tele.

For the tele neck is .625 and for the bridge .750. Is it right?
                    But I don't know the measures. There are a lot of it: .671, .688, .710. I have to get the "typical" measure. (non-staggered)

Comment

Originally posted by Marco78 View Post
                      Another question: rod magnets are made in a lot of lenght. I have to sell non staggered magnets for strato and tele.

For the tele neck is .625 and for the bridge .750. Is it right?
                      But I don't know the measures. There are a lot of it: .671, .688, .710. I have to get the "typical" measure. (non-staggered)
                      You've got some guidelines for magnet use here:
                      STEWMAC.COM : Single-coil Alnico 5 Magnet

HTH,
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

Good info and everything, but this post Belongs in the Beginners Corner!
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          You've got some guidelines for magnet use here:
                          STEWMAC.COM : Single-coil Alnico 5 Magnet

HTH,
                          Thanks a lot! Very good guide!! I have seen that SMD use 0.195 magnets, while the standard size for single coil is .187. A so I'll get a .195 instead than .187!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marco78 View Post
                            Thanks a lot! Very good guide!! I have seen that SMD use 0.195 magnets, while the standard size for single coil is .187. A so I'll get a .195 instead than .187!!!
                            Most suppliers sell A5 Rod Magnets in .187 size.
                            And, Most A3s are .195 inches.
                            StewMac has always done the .195 stuff.
                            You may as well just order a Humbucker kit, a single coil kit from stewMac and get your feet on the ground that way.
                            Then once you get going then start ordering loose parts like the rest of us do.
                            Here's the last Magnet sheet I got from Shea at Magnetic Hold.Pickup Mags.xls
                            There is one tab for Bar Magnets, and one tab for Rod Magnets at the bottom of the spreadsheet.
                            Later,
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Do someone can link me the lacquer from Stew Mc Donald?

Comment

Working...
                              X