Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 humbucker and 2 strats to make, i need help and recommendation please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 humbucker and 2 strats to make, i need help and recommendation please!

Well, I need to know what magnet to use on a humbucker, like dimarzio the breed, or evolution. dimension and gauss of the magnet, windings, impedance of the bobbin, it is my first pick up and i don't know how to make a high output and raise the medium tones, because this guitar will be tuned on Drop b, and some p'ups don't sound very clear with that low tune.

The other 2 strats, middle : brighter sound for clean
    neck: Only for solos, a sweet brighter sound the fast track 2 dimarzio , sounds like what i want

Can anyone hel me please???

I need to make a pickup to sound like this.

EVH 5150 III - Metal - YouTube

Originally posted by FranLp View Post
    Well, I need to know what magnet to use on a humbucker, like dimarzio the breed, or evolution. dimension and gauss of the magnet, windings, impedance of the bobbin, it is my first pick up and i don't know how to make a high output and raise the medium tones, because this guitar will be tuned on Drop b, and some p'ups don't sound very clear with that low tune.

The other 2 strats, middle : brighter sound for clean
    neck: Only for solos, a sweet brighter sound the fast track 2 dimarzio , sounds like what i want

Can anyone hel me please???

I need to make a pickup to sound like this.

EVH 5150 III - Metal - YouTube
    I listened to the clip.
    It sounded like mostly, the sound is the Amp and effects.
    Any Hot OverWound Pickup with Ceramic Magnets could do that.
    I recommend winding a Blade Humbucker pickup with Lots of 43 or 44 Ga. Wire.
    Humbucker.
    The Other 2 pickups, are you talking about Single coil Pickups?
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

The Breed
      The specs are listed here ,which is a good starting point
      DIMARZIO usually uses brass baseplates
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yes, single coil pick ups , the middle for clean tones and the neck pickups are specially for solos.
        i have neodymium magnets and if i make a 5000 winding, should it work for the humbuckers?? how much gauss can the magnets have for this tone?

Greetings!

Comment

Really im not sure if you can Degauss a neo magnet , they are extremely strong ......you will have to use very small neos

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB31_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	823153
            Ok , i have this ceramic magnet, 57x6x5 mm 1.310 gauss aprox. Well this is my project for a single coil.

Name:	P181011_11.57.jpg
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	823154 Click image for larger version

Name:	P181011_11.58.jpg
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	823155 , i'm thinking to change for a neodymium magnet, instead of installing a rectangle ceramic magnet, change poles and put this neo magnets in each hole.

Name:	AP250250N35_2.jpg
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	823156 This magnet has 2.800 gauss.

I've heard the entwistle hdn pick ups , and it works for djent metal too. I'm thinking to make a leap of faith and build a pick up with neos ,but i never saw a tremolo guitar with neo pickups. Some people says that affects to muck the vibration of the string and the sound.

Comment

Franlp,

Hmmm. First project huh? That guy from Stewart McDonald that says you can get the results you want on your first or second try and that winding pickups is not only fun and easy, but it can be profitable too... Is justkidding... or something...

Not trying to be discouraging. But do realize it take's some time to dial in what you are looking for. No need to re-invent the wheel 3 times your first try

High field strength magnets will kill your sustain, especially the high strings. You won't get the sweet lead tone that Ola gets if you kill the sustain. The Djent sound is a staccato partially created by the low tension strings. The lack of tension means there is less potential energy in the string as the pick displaces it, thus it comes to a rest sooner. I won't claim to be an expert on Djent, but I would think having strong magnets has something to do with this too. Killing sustain... So, all I am saying is: High field strength, but that will work at cross purposes to your lead tone. Ola runs his gain at 50%, he would have to increase the gain to deal with higher field strength magnets.

The second thing I will say about Djent is; you can wrap a few hundred more turns around it than if you were going for a nice clear rock sound. The string buzz noise can be minimized by letting the inductance outrun the capacitance. Your pick attack will dissapear, but that is fine for Djent... it will actually sound more clear. so like 14.4K to 14.8K for 43ga on a standard core. Overwind first then unwrap if you need pick clarity.

As far as single coils... wind what you have before trying the Neo. I would expect to good tone from the cores you have. Then replace with Neo after listening.

Disclaimer: I don't know if I understand/like Djent. I like Meshuggah, Keith Merrow, Tosin, and Ola... but, the rest of them (I wont name names) have terrible tone/ need to set up there guitars/ suck! (I must be getting old)

My theory on pickups is: there are a lot of great sounding pickups out there... to change the characteristics of a model by 3%, or so, the direction you want; can be all you need for $130 to feel like money well spent.

Peace man, good luck!
              Ethan

Comment

Thanks for your answer Ethan, i will make a humbucker with 43 awg, 6000 windings and i will try it. i like more the meshuggah tone than the ola tone, i don't like Emgs.
                I will accept your recommendation and later i upload some photos of the p'ups progress.

Greetings!

Comment

Try 7000+ windings Do 7200, then unwrap to get your pick attack back.

I have two spools of 43ga both wind to slightly less than 1Kohm per 1000winds. 6000 winds is 1 5.89k coil in my world BY the time 7000 winds hits the added circumference will push the coil over 7k each.

Yeah, Meshuggah is dialed! Are they Djent? Ola probably isn't Djent...

Cool, would love to see pics
                  Ethan

Comment

no, ola isn't djent, anyway, i have 2 strats pickups to do in my project, , because i'm making the entire guitar if i succeed in this, i will make a 7 strings then. So i will make a 8000 winding for the middle pick up and 9000 for the neck pick up? , it's okay if i do it that way?? , Sorry but i'm just a noobie in p'ups making.

Greetings.

Comment

Haha winding IS fun! I'm recommending you wind your pickups Overwound. for that sound, I hear overwound! Overwound can sound dull... But with low tunings, it can actually bring out clarity.

Pickup output goes up linearly with magnetic field intensity (thank Mike Sulzer for that graph ).

Pickup output goes up linearly with turns count. (again, Mike Sulzer :P )

Output goes up with string velocity ( thanks Darrel Faraday :/ )... The neck pickup will be a lot louder than the middle pickup. the middle pickup will be louder than the bridge pickup.

Bridge humbucker: both coils 7200 winds of 43ga. this pickup most guys here would hate, you might too... but unwind to the point you get some pick attack.

For the single coil: fill it up! If you can get 9000 winds, awesome! First fill one and unwind for clarity. If you have multiple guages of wire use 42ga on middle and 43 on neck.

What HB core are you using? by the way... My recommendations are based on the standard PAF core.

Comment

Well , i don't know which part is the core...mmm... Magnet: ceramic 56x6x5mm and poles. the base plate: brass. the entire piece is plastic.
                        This video shows the sound that i want to reach.

Last edited by FranLp; 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                          Really im not sure if you can Degauss a neo magnet , they are extremely strong ......you will have to use very small neos
                          You dont need to use small neos, your information is outdated. You can use Nib magnets that can be custom charged and custom shape.
                          All comparative tests with Alnico5 and Ceramic and description is here.
                          YouTube channel
                          Contact us:
                          sthandling@gmail.com

Comment

Nostrovia.............
                            I might have to try some of those ...thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X