Any Music Man amp modders in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Music Man amp modders in here?

I was wondering if there are any Music Man amp modders or collectors in the forum. I went to the Music Man amp website, and their forum seems to be dead. I own an RD50 myself, and I'm looking for interesting mods for the amp.

thank you,
    ken
    www.angeltone.com

The first question would be: what do you want your mod to accomplish? What areas do you find the amp falling short?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The main issue I have is the clean channel is much too bright, so I'm looking for a lowmid boost mod. I play with P90's and sometimes humbuckers, and I have to turn my clean channel's bass control up to at least 8 to get an even sound.

I love my MM because it's extremely loud for its size and very well built.

I've been to musicmanamps.com, but like I said the site seems to be dead. I found many mod ideas in their archives, but nothing for either reducing the clean channel's treble or boosting the lower mids.

ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Looking at the schem I might try changing R19 to 1.5k and just lift one end of C23.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck, I have a schematic here and I can see how changing R19 works, but I'm gonna play dumb here. How would lifting C23 make that much tonal difference? It's only 50pf right now.

thank you,
          ken
          www.angeltone.com

Comment

Your Q forced me to re evaluate the circuit. While a 50pf across a 1M resistor is well within the audio range, so you would certainly hear a difference, lifting that cap would actually make the amp BRIGHTER. The volume control looks to be a NFB shunt. So that cap is also a NFB shunt to roll off some highs. To mellow the clean channel a little you could actually INCREASE the cap value OR add a larger cap with a series resistor parallel to that 50pf cap to get a deeper effect but less of it, if you get my meaning. I'd experiment with cap values from 100pf to 1000pf and resistors from 10k to 100k.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck, I tried out your idea with a 360pf variable (AM radio tuner) cap and a 100K pot. Increasing the cap can drastically remove extreme high treble, sort of a presence control on steroids.

In the end I ended up just soldering a 47pf ceramic cap across the pot terminals to cut some of the 'beaminess' out while still keeping some sparkle in the clean tone.

I WISH the RD had enough room behind the pots to add pullpot switching! I'm thinking about how to move the PCB back about 1/2 an inch while keeping the reverb and footswitch jacks setup.

Thank you,
              Ken
              www.angeltone.com

Comment

Ken, I just read your post and although I don't have your issues with my RD50 there are a couple of other mods you may be interested in. Check the following links.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t204/, and http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24113/. Don't know if any of this will interest you but thought I would let you know they were there.

Comment

Working...
                X