Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mojotone Butyrate humbucker bobbins. How accurate are they ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've wound some Pickups with the blade bobbins, and they are .030 or taller.
    I noticed they didn't sound as muddy as the regular shorter bobbins.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I've wound some Pickups with the blade bobbins, and they are .030 or taller.
      I noticed they didn't sound as muddy as the regular shorter bobbins.
      T
      Taller bobbins tend to be brighter, or at least clearer. A good example is a Jazzmaster vs. Strat, or P bass vs. Jazz bass. The squatter coils are not as bright sounding.

I think a good idea is to get a bobbin, and figure how to wind a good sounding pickup with that bobbin. It might be the same as a PAF, but as most people have no idea what a PAF sounds like, the point is moot.

These days most people buy hotter pickups like the JB.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• I will tell you one thing I like about the Mojotone butyrate bobbins, they are rigid! You can wind those suckers tight! The other bobbins out there without the solid center flex a bit and start to distort and curl on the ends if tension is too tight. I wish someone would make some standard plastic versions with these molds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
          I will tell you one thing I like about the Mojotone butyrate bobbins, they are rigid! You can wind those suckers tight! The other bobbins out there without the solid center flex a bit and start to distort and curl on the ends if tension is too tight. I wish someone would make some standard plastic versions with these molds.
          Hi Jim

I just wound a coüple of sets and must say that they flared out much more than the stewmac bobbins, so much so that i´m making a clamp to stop the flaring. the other thing is that there is a nasty moulding stud at one end that needs to be dealt with, it´s not really a big deal to sort that out otherwise the bobbins look pretty good. Now if someone could make some nice keepers and baseplates with threaded screw holes we would all be happy and have nothing to talk about !!

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

• I never bought Stew macs as I only wind the 49.2MM spacing. The other style I have had new have that flat spot on the bottom ends (also sold by Moho tone and other places as well). Those flared like crazy. I have wound 12 Mojo Butyrate bobbins tight and they are all flat.

Comment

• Hi Jim

I just ran a couple of pole screws through a mojo butyrate bobbin into a stewmac bobbin, no problem both the same spacing. The plastic on the stewmac is possibly thicker or harder it deffinitely bends less and I do tend to put a lot of tension on the wire maybe to much. The stewmacs over the last years (at least the ones they sent me were 49.2 mm )

Cheers

Andrew
              Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
              I never bought Stew macs as I only wind the 49.2MM spacing. The other style I have had new have that flat spot on the bottom ends (also sold by Moho tone and other places as well). Those flared like crazy. I have wound 12 Mojo Butyrate bobbins tight and they are all flat.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Maybe so people can wind hotter pickups?
                I had planned to post something yesterday but I was forced to move all my files to another machine and this process hasn't quite finished yet.

Yes, ofcourse you can wind a hotter pickup with a bobbin which is slightly larger, but this was not the main objective of Gibson, I think. I believe they did change the bobbin to fix a production problem. Anyway, I will address this in a next post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
                  I had planned to post something yesterday but I was forced to move all my files to another machine and this process hasn't quite finished yet.

Yes, ofcourse you can wind a hotter pickup with a bobbin which is slightly larger, but this was not the main objective of Gibson, I think. I believe they did change the bobbin to fix a production problem. Anyway, I will address this in a next post.
                  On the subject of the taller bobbin, that might address the problem of winding a neck pickup to 7.5k and higher without being muddy like gibson did.
                  With the 1/4 inch bobbins I usually stop at 7.3k with A2 Magnets, because of the muddiness issue.
                  The Humbucker Blade bobbins I use are .3 inch height, and the Neck muddiness issue doesn't exist with a Higher DCR wound bobbin, within reason.
                  B_T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                    I just ran a couple of pole screws through a mojo butyrate bobbin into a stewmac bobbin, no problem both the same spacing. The plastic on the stewmac is possibly thicker or harder it deffinitely bends less and I do tend to put a lot of tension on the wire maybe to much. The stewmacs over the last years (at least the ones they sent me were 49.2 mm )
                    +1

Just a couple weeks ago, I was rummaging around in a miscellaneous parts box and I found an un-opened StewMac humbucker kit. I don't remember ordering it, but somehow there it was. I opened it and measured it against the Mojo butyrate bobbin and found the spacing the same as well. Moreover, the StewMac bobbin was a solid center bobbin like the Mojo butyrate which surprised me. The plastic was for sure less pliable than butyrate, but overall, the shape and design was pretty close to the Mojo.

Since I know from my reading here that you could never make a good sounding pickup from a StewMac kit, I thought I would try. I disappointed myself... it sounds pretty good!

But I'm sure it will start to sound crappy once it goes through the "break in" period...

Comment

• Hi Corona

You have leave it for at least 6 months to 1 year for it to get really crappy, and with luck you´ll have forgotten that it sounded ok in the first place.
                      Cheers

Andrew
                      Originally posted by Corona Blue View Post
                      +1

Just a couple weeks ago, I was rummaging around in a miscellaneous parts box and I found an un-opened StewMac humbucker kit. I don't remember ordering it, but somehow there it was. I opened it and measured it against the Mojo butyrate bobbin and found the spacing the same as well. Moreover, the StewMac bobbin was a solid center bobbin like the Mojo butyrate which surprised me. The plastic was for sure less pliable than butyrate, but overall, the shape and design was pretty close to the Mojo.

Since I know from my reading here that you could never make a good sounding pickup from a StewMac kit, I thought I would try. I disappointed myself... it sounds pretty good!

But I'm sure it will start to sound crappy once it goes through the "break in" period...

Comment

• Originally posted by Corona Blue View Post
                        To effectively break it in, you must play "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors on it for at least a week. If you REALLY want it to sound good, play some POLYSICS, The 5.6.7.8's, and The Pillows.

(Pizzicato Five anyone?)

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          To effectively break it in, you must play "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors on it for at least a week. If you REALLY want it to sound good, play some POLYSICS, The 5.6.7.8's, and The Pillows.
                          I'm afraid I would have to dig deeply into my proprietary bag of faerie dust and sprinkle GENEROUSLY on these crappy StewMac kits to get them to even come close to the sweet nostalgic magnificence of the P5's... or the Pillows!!

Comment

Working...
                          X