Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG7621 Rewire... HELP!!

Hi and thanks for viewing,

Just got a set of Bareknuckles Cold Sweat pickups and can't wait to install them. I'm going to do a complete rewire for coil-tapping and replace all electronics including pots, jack, switch, and wires. I've never done this before and my knowledge is relatively limited. Please help with your expertise and opinions!

So far, I know that I'm going to install a volume pot, and an HCP Humbucker Control Pot in place of the tone pot (I'm opting for NO tone pot). I need help deciding what to buy for the following:

1) High-end volume pot
    2) High-end Jack
    3) High-end 5-way 4-pole switcher (Superswitch? Any other suggestions?)

Also, what kind of other odds and ends do I need for the rewire (I.E. wires, shrink tube, etc.?)

Thanks so much for your help!!

Mr Graves
    Attached Files

That HCP is just a push-pull pot that is wired up for coil splitting. If you aren't going to have a tone control, then you only need one pot, since the other one wont do anything.

You also don't need a 5 way switch and the HCP, since replacing your 3 way switch with the 5 way would imply you are wiring the 5 way up to do coil splitting, so they would be redundant.

So either stick with the 3 way switch and get a push-pull volume pot, or get a 5 way switch and forget about the HCP. Either way you will still have an extra pot, so I'd leave the tone control in. If you don't use your tone control, you should try it more often. You can get very cool tones with distortion by turning the tone control off, especially when using the neck pickup. For a more usable tone, install a smaller value cap, like .01µF. That will just remove the top end and sound like a wah cocked back a little.

As an alternative to the super switch, you can also try one of these:

STEWMAC.COM : Megaswitch E-Model

If will give you the same setting as the HCP plus some others.

Or try this one:

STEWMAC.COM : Megaswitch P-Model
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      That HCP is just a push-pull pot that is wired up for coil splitting. If you aren't going to have a tone control, then you only need one pot, since the other one wont do anything.

You also don't need a 5 way switch and the HCP, since replacing your 3 way switch with the 5 way would imply you are wiring the 5 way up to do coil splitting, so they would be redundant.

So either stick with the 3 way switch and get a push-pull volume pot, or get a 5 way switch and forget about the HCP. Either way you will still have an extra pot, so I'd leave the tone control in. If you don't use your tone control, you should try it more often. You can get very cool tones with distortion by turning the tone control off, especially when using the neck pickup. For a more usable tone, install a smaller value cap, like .01µF. That will just remove the top end and sound like a wah cocked back a little.

As an alternative to the super switch, you can also try one of these:

STEWMAC.COM : Megaswitch E-Model

If will give you the same setting as the HCP plus some others.

Or try this one:

STEWMAC.COM : Megaswitch P-Model
      Sorry for the delayed response... Thanks so much for your reply, it was very helpful. I ended up going with a 3-way switch and the HCP. Thanks so much!

Comment

did you have a volume pot as well?

Originally posted by Mr Graves View Post
        Sorry for the delayed response... Thanks so much for your reply, it was very helpful. I ended up going with a 3-way switch and the HCP. Thanks so much!
        Sorry this is a old thread, but I would like answers that are related to this same topic.
        I'm interested in trying out the hcp control in place of the tone pot, and i was wondering how you liked it?. Also do you have a volume pot in that mix with the tone control, and the 3 way switch? Does the hcp control give you volume adjustments? I noticed that in the spec for the hcp control there is a switch you can add for filtering. What exactly does the filtering effect do if you install the switch with the hcp control?

Comment

Welcome torchlord!

Originally posted by torchlord View Post
          Sorry this is a old thread, but I would like answers that are related to this same topic.
          I'm interested in trying out the hcp control in place of the tone pot, and i was wondering how you liked it?. Also do you have a volume pot in that mix with the tone control, and the 3 way switch? Does the hcp control give you volume adjustments? I noticed that in the spec for the hcp control there is a switch you can add for filtering. What exactly does the filtering effect do if you install the switch with the hcp control?
          Sadly, MrGraves did a quick out after getting the info he needed. So it's *highly* unlikely that you'll get a reply from him in particular since he's only had 2 posts since 2011 and both of them are in this thread.

Like David said above:
          That HCP is just a push-pull pot that is wired up for coil splitting.
          Assuming that what he means is that it's a volume control (or tone -depending on where you put it/wire it) that has a switch integrated into the base of the pot.

So it occupies one position, but has two seperate functions.
          1. variable control (tone or volume)
          2. switching

Switching can be used for a multitude of things...
          - on/off
          - coil-tapping (splitting a humbucker that has 4-conductors into operating as a single-coil)
          - switching between pickups...and much more.

In regards to your filtering question. Think of a filter in this case as simply being a 'tone' selector. So that you could switch between capacitor values (or filtering) for getting a bright top end, or a mellower top end.

There's a TON of options when it comes to wiring, and even more so when you add switching. So it's not really so much of 'whether he liked it or not' but rather, how you can manipulate the options (be it switching configuration or tone selector or coil taps or..) to suit your tastes and desires. =)
          Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Audiotexan View Post
            Welcome torchlord!

Sadly, MrGraves did a quick out after getting the info he needed. So it's *highly* unlikely that you'll get a reply from him in particular since he's only had 2 posts since 2011 and both of them are in this thread.

Like David said above:

Assuming that what he means is that it's a volume control (or tone -depending on where you put it/wire it) that has a switch integrated into the base of the pot.

So it occupies one position, but has two seperate functions.
            1. variable control (tone or volume)
            2. switching

Switching can be used for a multitude of things...
            - on/off
            - coil-tapping (splitting a humbucker that has 4-conductors into operating as a single-coil)
            - switching between pickups...and much more.

In regards to your filtering question. Think of a filter in this case as simply being a 'tone' selector. So that you could switch between capacitor values (or filtering) for getting a bright top end, or a mellower top end.

There's a TON of options when it comes to wiring, and even more so when you add switching. So it's not really so much of 'whether he liked it or not' but rather, how you can manipulate the options (be it switching configuration or tone selector or coil taps or..) to suit your tastes and desires. =)
            I was just wondering about the filtering, because i was wondering if it was anything like the DMT Dual Mode High & Low Pass Tone Control. I'm interested in trying this out as well since i feel like the dimarzio d activator neck is just a bit to bass oriented, so i was considering using the bass cut to get a little more control. I would like to try out the coil splitting that the hcp control could give me as well. Currently i put in the seymour duncan liberator volume pot, so i was trying to find out if i could just run the wires off to the hcp, then maybe later try to squeeze 2 dmt hi/low pass filters (1 per pickup) in on each side of the 3 way pickup selector, which will make for a tight fit. Or I was trying to think of a way of just have the dmt on the neck only, cause that one is the biggest issue, and go with the hcp, volume, and a 3 way. So if I could find a way to wire that up I'd only have to drill one hole, in my guitar. The bridge d activator is pretty decent, and i like that pickup. I just want to cut the bass on the neck a little, and try some variable coil cutting. I could run the wires off to the hcp easy enough with out any drilling, by taking out the tone pot. Would not having a tone pot make it a lot brighter of tone for both pickups, or would the hcp make up for it, when all controls are in the off positions? Sorry still pretty new to

Comment

Ok, so from what I've been able to gather, the 'Liberator' is nothing more than a convenience aspect for those afraid to/not proficient with soldering. Problem is, it still has to be soldered into whatever circuit you're creating, and resoldered as your wiring configurations/needs/whims change. So kinda just a marketing gimmick (if you're old enough...think RONCO.) at least IMHO.

I was just wondering about the filtering, because i was wondering if it was anything like the DMT Dual Mode High & Low Pass Tone Control.
              From what little I've gathered so far it does nothing other than provide a pickup connection point that is solderless.
              Your wiring options/needs (including tone stacks) still have to be addressed

...i feel like the dimarzio d activator neck is just a bit to bass oriented, so i was considering using the bass cut to get a little more control.
              Which normally is easily remedied by a change in the tone cap!
              This can be done on the switch, on the tone pot, or both...depending on how/if you want it to affect the bridge p/up or not.

I would like to try out the coil splitting that the hcp control could give me as well.
              That can easily be done via a traditional coil-tap pot (or multiples if desired/needed).

You could use the pot/switch assembly above in each of the two holes you already have drilled, and do coil tapping (one switch per pickup) that way too. And when you throw in the 3-way, then you have all kinds of options...
              EG:
              - N tapped (SC operation), with Bridge Humbucking
              - N Hum, Bridge tapped (SC)
              - N/B tapped (both SC)

Or... you could wire it, neck pulled = tone cut/boost (switching a cap in/out of circuit) think along the lines of a 'bright switch'

I mean there's just so many options opened up just by using the "pots" above (and Stew Mac was just the first I pulled for reference, I'm sure they'd be cheaper on Amazon)

Personally, stay away from all of these "marketing nightmares" and take it one step at a time.

1. Get a good soldering iron
              2. figure out what options you want
              3. wire it according to your needs/wants
              4. ask for help as needed with wiring issues!

The reason I lay it out like this is simply because:
              -the HCP setup that I found shows it as being miniature components (almost surface mount).
              -These are *far* from conducive to fine-tuning your sound as opposed to using traditional components. If you think soldering full size components/wiring is going to be hard, take that x10 when it comes to caps/resistors the size of the ones in that web page. (more on this below)

Now, with that said, their web page DOES mention:
              Pulling the HCP control up and rotating it counterclockwise fades from HUMBUCKERS to INNER Coils (HB1 North coil & HB2 South coil)
              So they have included some special switching capabilities into the pcb they're using, however, what you may be missing is that in order for the above quote to be done, they're assuming you have 2 humbuckers with 4-conductor cables. If you have two-conductor humbuckers, then the above quote is impossible. So again, points to consider.

Currently i put in the seymour duncan liberator volume pot, so i was trying to find out if i could just run the wires off to the hcp, then maybe later try to squeeze 2 dmt hi/low pass filters (1 per pickup) in on each side of the 3 way pickup selector, which will make for a tight fit.
              When you speak of high/low pass filters, you're talking about changing the RC network (resistor/capacitor) to fine tune the frequency response that you're looking for.

More of the same with the DMT's. You're either going to like/hate the frequency points that they've preselected for you. Not easy for a beginner to change the RC network on that board. Personally: avoid. Use "traditional" parts to maximize your ability to tweak/fine tune (especially where tone controls are concerned).

Or I was trying to think of a way of just have the dmt on the neck only, cause that one is the biggest issue, and go with the hcp, volume, and a 3 way.
              This helps get us closer to an idea of what you're looking for option-wise! =)

So if I could find a way to wire that up I'd only have to drill one hole, in my guitar. The bridge d activator is pretty decent, and i like that pickup.
              You actually don't have to drill anything from what I can see...just change to push-pull pots and wire accordingly! The only thing you might change would be the 3-way to a 5-way, or even the Megaswitch (as mentioned earlier in the thread). That could even open up phasing options...but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I just want to cut the bass on the neck a little, and try some variable coil cutting. I could run the wires off to the hcp easy enough with out any drilling, by taking out the tone pot.
              Change the bass: change/apply a cap to what affects the neck positions.
              Coil-tapping: install push-pull pots. (Two p/ups, two pots. One for each for simplicity' sake) Again, assuming you have 4-conductor HB's. (Which I'd bet you do)

Those are the simplest ways to do what you want without having to drill a thing.

I'll elaborate on what I was referring to above. With the HCP, if you want to change the bass (or filtering) then that's usually going to be done by changing a cap (since the pots are usually either 250k/500k and are more or less 'set in stone'*) and with the caps used on that particular piece, it's not going to be newbie friendly for mods. Hence my recommendation for forgoing all the marketing BS, and using traditional components. THEN once you have *your circuit* nailed down, you might consider convenience items (which is what the liberator is). The HCP on the other hand is a "one trick pony". It does what it does, and if you don't like the resulting sounds that they've factory tuned it to (RC network/filter), a novice would be better off trashing it or selling it.

Would not having a tone pot make it a lot brighter of tone for both pickups, or would the hcp make up for it, when all controls are in the off positions? Sorry still pretty new to
              A tone pot is only a "tone pot" when it's connected with a capacitor. Thus creating the RC network. The pot is the Resistor, the cap is the Capacitor. If you're missing either one of those, it ceases to be a "tone pot". So the above question doesn't really apply.

That's not to say however, that both values could not be set and locked into a particular tone (by simply using the appropriate resistor/capacitor network) via hardwire. And eliminating the need for a knob. The result is, it's just no longer "adjustable" and it becomes an emphasized, or rolled off, frequency. Depending on how it's approached.

Hope this helps your understanding a bit more,
              Audiotexan

*= Nothing is ever set in stone in electronics, however the underlying point that I was trying to make is that those two values are consistently the most used in regards to guitar pots, so those are in essence a fixed part of the RC network. Thus the only thing we normally would change (fine-tune) would be the cap.
              Last edited by Audiotexan; 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM. Reason: clarifications/missed items of note
              Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
              X