Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some beginner questions

Hello all,
    I've decided to get myself a music system after years of just listening to music through computers, MP3 players etc. I thought I'd try something a bit more interesting than the usual stuff in Dixons, and get tube amplifier.

I've read a a bit about it, and would like some input:

Would a new Separo e34i be a good "starter" tube amp? I was thinking of getting this, some Roth Audio OLi20 speakers, a simple turntable to try out Vinyl, and perhaps some kind of tablet, so I can also play MP3s. Other than maybe a pre-amp for both the turntable and the tablet, is there anything obviously wrong with a set up like this?

I'm very new to all this, so don't be afraid to point out what to you is very obvious...

I think I'd like a new amp for the warranty/support, as I'm new to this. Do you think that it's a system that can "grow" with me, if I decide to get a CD player, or a better MP3 solution later down the line? Is the Separo a good amp to get a "taste" of tube amps, or can I do better for the money when it comes to brand new amps?

Thanks a lot

Garry
    Last edited by thegman; 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM. Reason: typos

Hey Garry,

Welcome to the MEF. I don't have any answers for you, but you may get a better response if you post over in the Music Electronics Section, if T-boy doesn't move it first. This is the best forum out there, but I have a feeling someone will tell to build your own, because that's mostly what they do around here. I suggest taking it on - it's addictive and healthier than some other "recreational drugs." Good luck!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Separo e34i. Man, that looks like a mighty fine amplifier for $700.00.
      Keep in mind there are no tone controls.
      For that you will need a preamp.

Comment

You may also try posting questions like this over at the DIY Audio forum...lots of hifi guys there. The cheapest used solution with good performance would probably be a Dynaco Stereo 70, and a Dynaco PAS preamp. More of those sold than any other hifi tube amp, and for good reason. For new...there is a lot of overpriced and hyped up stuff these days. I don't keep up with new tube hifi stuff much myself since I have a Stereo 70, PAS, a Scott 299B, and a RCA console tube stereo record player to listen to these days.

Greg

Comment

I recently saw a Chinese made integrated tube amp, the Shanling MC-30, getting a rave review in Stereophile magazine.

The downside is that it's 3 watts per channel and single-ended. It is also a freaky looking design with a built-in CD transport, tuner and dock for an Ipod type device. All in all more the sort of thing a Stereophile reviewer would like.

The used Dynaco setup would be more in the spirit of this forum- plenty of power for pounding out SRV's greatest hits, and likely to need restoring They mostly sold in America, though. If you're in the UK, the equivalent is a pair of Quad IIs, plus whatever Quad preamp those came with.

The Separo amp looks like it was inspired by the Dynaco. The low price comes from being built in China. Hi-fi amps tend not to have tone controls nowadays (even many preamps don't) but more importantly, the phono stage is often left out too. If you plan to listen to vinyl, check if it has a phono stage.
          Last edited by Steve Conner; 10-30-2011, 11:10 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the Quad II
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
            RCA console tube stereo record player to listen to these days.
            My main amp in the shop.
            1962 RCA 18 watts per channel.
            Pulled it out of a console & built a cab for it.
            Original everything.
            Caps, tubes.......
            (Well, I did have to replace the FM mixing tube. But I scored a NOS RCA on EBay)
            Works like a charm & sounds really good through a pair of KLM's.

Comment

Hi, and thanks to all for the input.

I'm not sure about a phono stage, but I do want to at least try out vinyl, so it's something that I need to look at.

I can see lots of phono stages on eBay, if the Separo does not have one, is that something I can add easily?

Thanks again for all the help, I really don't have a clue about all this yet, so I've still got a lot to learn.

Cheers

Garry

Comment

Yes, you can buy a separate phono stage and plug it in at a later date. I'm out of touch with the latest developments in vinyl, for all I know you might now be able to buy turntables with the phono preamp built in.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks, that's cool, as long as there are options really.

Cheers

Garry

Comment

Yes, there are turntables with phono preamp built right in. WHat is even more popular lately is turntables with USB outputs. Digital converter right in the turntable, so you can feed your vinyl directly to your computer.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Good to know, I'm not interested in USB right now, but maybe it's worth getting it just in case.

Cheers

Garry

Comment

Any of the USB output turntables I've seen have been plastic junk. If you want to get the most out of the LP format, you need *good* equipment. A Denon DP-57 is a good TT in the intermediate price range used. Set up right with a moving coil cartridge (and MC phono stage) they sound really nice.
                        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                          Any of the USB output turntables I've seen have been plastic junk. If you want to get the most out of the LP format, you need *good* equipment. A Denon DP-57 is a good TT in the intermediate price range used. Set up right with a moving coil cartridge (and MC phono stage) they sound really nice.
                          I think the Denon models may be a bit expensive for me, but I'll look around and see if I can see some bargains.

Comment

Personal opinion:
                            the amp looks good. 40W per side should be enough.
                            The speaker looks too small, unless you have a 9' by 9' listening room and nosy neighbours .
                            88dB efficiency, a 5" woofer, small box: low SPL, not too much bass capability.
                            Not surprisingly, the BBC review said so in so many words.
                            I´d spend a little more in speakers, going to a similar one (since you like them) but at least with an 8" woofer (10" would be even better).
                            No matter what electronic stuff you use, it will have to come out through the speaker, it´s the final link, literally.
                            jm2c
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I don't listen to my music very loud, but I'll consider some bigger speakers anyway. I'd like to keep the whole setup reasonably small, but I appreciate there is no point getting a nice amp, turntable etc. then playing out through inadequate speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X