Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Bassman bias problem

Hi Guys,

I haven't been around for a while but a project fell in my lap and has me stumped. I'm working on a friend's 5E6-A 4X10. It is bone stock except for fairly new filter caps. The RCA 6L6s are pulling 66 ma each. I subbed in a new bias cap and subbed in a UF4007 in place of the selenium rectifier (which still works fine). I switched tube positions and subbed in a pair of TADs to be sure. They only pulled 61 ma but you get the idea. I'm using the shunt method. Screens are 410 and B+ is 420.

On very low gain I ran a 1k sine wave into the jack and it looked fine all the way through the amp -- so I'm guessing there aren't any hidden parasitics lurking. The PI caps test good (old Astrons). The crux of the issue is that the bias tap puts out 46 volts -- right on the schematic. At the grids it is -41 volts which is a pretty efficient exchange. I'm not losing bias volts anywhere. I did put another 20k resistance on the bleed resistor to see if it would make a difference and it did raise the bias voltage a volt and the rail by 5 -- so it is open to persuasion.

So, two questions: any ideas and does the shunt method work when the B+ goes to both the center tap and the screens? Thanks for your help, Skip

Sorry, the B+ is 428 at the first cap and entrance to the choke, screens are 423 and the plates are 417. This uses a capacitor input filter. sh

Comment

got it fixed. thanks for looking

Comment

Well???

What did you find it to be?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Leaky PI coupling caps methinks....
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

yes, one of the coupling caps was a little leaky and I also added some resistance to the bleed resistor. Cheers, sh

Comment

Working...
            X