Marshall 2210 master volume not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2210 master volume not working

A troubleshooting week from hell! I wish this was the worst of my problems but sadly it is the tip of the iceburg. This latest torment comes in the form of a JCM800 series 2x12 combo. The chassis is a 2412 and the preamp ckt is the 2210. It came in with an intermittant channel switching problem that was resolved by replacing the 3046 IC. Now, the clean channel is fine but on the lead channel, the master volume doesn't work. It changes the tone(sounds like a phasing effect or sweep) but has little effect on the volume. I'v tried decoupling the signal at various stages but the only thing that eliminates the signal with the master down is pulling V1(of coarse) or disconnecting the coupling cap to the phase inverter. Even breaking the effect return contacts does not eliminate the signal. Again, this only happens with the boost channel. The master works fine for the clean channel.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Attached Files

Is the bottom leg of the control actually grounded? Check for continuity. Is the pot open? Does the wiper leg go to ground when at zero? Pull the pot and check all its properties.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The pot is grounded. I will test the wiper continuity at all points when I get back to it. I had to move on to other repairs for a while. Thanks.

Comment

If this is a new problem that popped up after chip replacement I might suspect the chip, the power supply for the chip, the traces and contacts for the chip or the chip installation. The schem makes it look like both channels run through the same master volume. So if one channel is attenuated, but the other isn't, the unattenuated channel's circuit is somehow bypassing (though affected by) the master volume. The phase affect is just that. Two signals of different phase are trying to combine at different levels when the master volume is operated. If the chip is doing what it should that shouldn't happen.

EDIT: Looking at the schem again it appears that there should be no way a chip malfunction could inject signal beyond the master volume. So if the master volume pot is working, as it seems to be, something must be hooked up cattywhompus in there. Is it possible the amp has had mod attempts or someone else messed with it before you got it?
        Last edited by Chuck H; 11-06-2011, 06:24 AM. Reason: new info
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Looking at the schem again it appears that there should be no way a chip malfunction could inject signal beyond the master volume. So if the master volume pot is working, as it seems to be, something must be hooked up cattywhompus in there. Is it possible the amp has had mod attempts or someone else messed with it before you got it?
          Like Chuck said, this sounds like a different problem than the chip issue. You said you still have signal getting into the power amp with the FX return switch opened. This should not happen, you need to find out if something is modded or miswired.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Nothing is modded or miswired. It appears bone stock. I don't think it has ever been serviced before. I tried subbing new filter caps in case the signal was being induced into the B+ somehow but it made no improvement. Wait a minute...it looks like R30 is connected to the plate of V3 not V4!
            I'll have to check the grid and cathode wiring.

Comment

I had a 2210 head I got cheap because it had both of the problems you mentioned.
              I had to replace the chip, and the master pot went bad.
              So did the dual gain pot.
              I ended replacing all the pots over the years, they're the only thing holding the pc board in place so they're under constant stress.
              While you're there, reflow all the pot pc board connections, jacks, and any other suspicious looking solder joints.

After some work, I enjoyed many years of playing with the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by 65basser View Post
                Wait a minute...it looks like R30 is connected to the plate of V3 not V4!
                I'll have to check the grid and cathode wiring.
                R30 & R27 both go to the same supply rail, so if they are reversed it shouldn't make a difference. However, if point Y is connected to V3 instead of V4, it would explain the FX loop bypass. Maybe some sockets miswired?
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X