MIDI issue w/softsynths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI issue w/softsynths

I'm setting up a laptop mainly for use with VSTI synth programs and everything's fine with exception to the pitch/mod wheels. I'm using a Peavey DPM4 for a controller via a USB midi interface. Whenever I move the pitch or mod wheels the program freaks out and registers a bunch of keypresses and locks up for a time. I never had this issue years ago when I used a gameport midi interface that I built. Maybe a setting that I overlooked?
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
    VSTI synth programs; Peavey DPM4 for a controller via a USB midi interface. Whenever I move the pitch or mod wheels the program freaks out and registers a bunch of keypresses and locks up for a time. Maybe a setting that I overlooked?
    A wrong setting is a good assumption. We could use more info, though. Not really enough to chew on. Almost sounds like either data throughput errors (too much data overloads and locks it up, and CC wheels generate a LOT of data) or MIDI echo...except echo can also happen with just notes pressed.

Peavey DPM4...check.

Which MIDI interface?

What program are younning the VSTi's on?

That's three separate devices in which, possibly, one wrong setting could muck up everything.

Are you running MIDI-in AND MIDI-out through all that, or just MIDI-out from keyboard to MIDI-in of interface into computer? If you are running In and Out, have you created a feedback loop? If it's a possibility, just unplug the MIDI In of the keyboard, play something, and see if it behaves. If you were looped, and it now plays, you have to change the settings in something to prevent "MIDI Echo" when playing the keyboard.

Are all the MIDI channels corresponding to each other, and are they sending/receiving in the same MIDI mode (Omni/Poly, etc.)?

Are there settings in the VSTi host program, or VSTi, itself, to enable/disable, set data range, etc. of CCs? Are those setup properly?

Is your MIDI inteface somehow filtering out/changing data?

Which interface, which VSTi and host program (or standalone VSTi) are you using? Knowing some of this would be helpful in trying to help.

Cheers,

Brad1

Comment

I'm thinking I need to assign a seperate midi channel to the wheels. Now that I think about it sommore, it makes sense that if the wheels are on the same channel as the keyboard it would be sending bad data that appears to be multiple keypresses. I'll fool with it more and check back in later.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
        I'm thinking I need to assign a seperate midi channel to the wheels. Now that I think about it sommore, it makes sense that if the wheels are on the same channel as the keyboard it would be sending bad data that appears to be multiple keypresses. I'll fool with it more and check back in later.
        I'm fairly certain that if the softsynth is set to respond to MIDI Channel 1, and you could set things to send CC data to only another channel, then the synth won't respond to the CC data. It would just send it to a channel with nothing triggered to respond to. Besides, the same amount of data is actually traveling through the cables and interface to the final destination at the same time, right? Midi Note On (and Note Off) data is relatively sparse, and no great demand on resources. CC data, though, can send a lot of data. Normally, with only one channel sending data, MIDI overflow/lockup is not a problem. It's when you start building up a lot of tracks that contain a lot of dense CC activity and/or with a lot of tracks all trying to hit notes at precisely the same time, that things get weird. MIDI feedback can also stuttering/stuck/missing notes, etc.

The Pitch and Mod wheels are generally set globally, and you'd need to set each patch (channel/softsynth setting, etc.) to not respond.

I'm fairly sure you need to match everything for the same channel, and recheck your settings and connection scheme on all products...whatever they are. Maybe updated drivers for something? Have you searched for similar problems with similar devices? As in, your particular computer with that interface, that inteface with whatever program(s), you computer with whatever program(s)? Things like that?

Does the computer have USB 1.1, or USB 2.0? Is there a setting in Windows, or some other USB device interrupting?

Just trying to help.

Brad1

Comment

Working...
        X