No announcement yet.

Low Z Bass Pickup Wiring - Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Z Bass Pickup Wiring - Help Needed!

Hello. I am hoping that the board can help me with the wiring of an old Gretsch Broadkaster Bass from the late 70's early 80's. I went to rewire this bass with new pots and output jack and in the process the leg broke of a mystery square brown part called a "Stancor PCT-17." I went ahead and wired the bass without it and it sounds horrible with very low output. Heres the part:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	770.4 KB
ID:	864872

After doing some internet research it appears that this piece was a Miniature Encapsulated Transformer that is no longer available and that the pickup itself is a low Z pickup and that the transformer was increasing impedance so that it could be used with traditional amplifiers....similar to the Les Paul Bass of the late 60's.

My question is this - what would be a good substitute for this part that is readily available? I understand that I could probably use an xlr hi z-low z microphone adapter from the output of the bass to the amplifier, but I am looking for something passive that would fity inside of the guitar cavity. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Originally posted by Sonicolone View Post
    Hello. I am hoping that the board can help me with the wiring of an old Gretsch Broadkaster Bass from the late 70's early 80's. I went to rewire this bass with new pots and output jack and in the process the leg broke of a mystery square brown part called a "Stancor PCT-17." I went ahead and wired the bass without it and it sounds horrible with very low output. Heres the part:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15990[/ATTACH]

After doing some internet research it appears that this piece was a Miniature Encapsulated Transformer that is no longer available and that the pickup itself is a low Z pickup and that the transformer was increasing impedance so that it could be used with traditional amplifiers....similar to the Les Paul Bass of the late 60's.

My question is this - what would be a good substitute for this part that is readily available? I understand that I could probably use an xlr hi z-low z microphone adapter from the output of the bass to the amplifier, but I am looking for something passive that would fity inside of the guitar cavity. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Sonicolone,

Check out this web link. MET-01 Tamura Transformers Audio & Signal

The MET-01 transformer looks like the same impedance value (1K to 200K) as the one in your photo.

Joseph Rogowski

Comment

This supplier has them: STANCOR PCT-17 is in stock | Buy PCT 17 | Onlinecomponents.com

Comment

Thanks - I originally aw that, but didnt think they actually had it in stock. I have sinced ordered it and will await its arrival - I was also wondering if I could use a loz hiz microphone adapter? Thanks.

Comment

Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan

Comment

Working...
          X