• Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Super 58's

I am looking for information on these pickups. First the easy question:

I see that there are two models:
    SP-58-F
    SP-58-R

Which is which?

And also I'm looking for any hints as to construction: DCR, gauss, inside info on magnets?

I took my wife to see Scofield Sunday. We have heard him before but this was in a tiny theater and he was doing his bop thing and it just sounded sooooooo good. Clearly it's mostly because it's Scofield playing, but it did seem he was getting a hell of a sound from his minimal gear. Seemed like he has really thick strings - 12s or bigger.... and the guitar was so incredibly clear and articulate. Now I'm very curious about those pickups.

BTW it was this lineup except Gregory Hutchinson on drums.

Comment

K found an easy way to find out for myself LOL

https://store.ibanez.com/store/Category.aspx?s=1000012

Comment

Originally posted by Kindly Killer View Post
        I am looking for information on these pickups. First the easy question:

I see that there are two models:
        SP-58-F
        SP-58-R

Which is which?

F=Front, R=Rear

And also I'm looking for any hints as to construction: DCR, gauss, inside info on magnets?

I took my wife to see Scofield Sunday. We have heard him before but this was in a tiny theater and he was doing his bop thing and it just sounded sooooooo good. Clearly it's mostly because it's Scofield playing, but it did seem he was getting a hell of a sound from his minimal gear. Seemed like he has really thick strings - 12s or bigger.... and the guitar was so incredibly clear and articulate. Now I'm very curious about those pickups.
        Scofield is great.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

K found an easy way to find out for myself LOL

https://store.ibanez.com/store/Category.aspx?s=1000012
          I think that this pickups are chinese/korean model that Ibanez install on low price guitar and not the "real" super 58.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco78 View Post
            I think that this pickups are chinese/korean model that Ibanez install on low price guitar and not the "real" super 58.
            Sounds like you have knowledge of both. What are some specs, please?

Comment

Sounds like you have knowledge of both. What are some specs, please?
              I buy a chinese Super 58 and I sell it immediately, they are ceramic magnets, instead "real" 58 are alnico.

I don't have any photos, I'm sorry!

Comment

K thanks!

Maybe I will have to cruise for an old Ibanez guitar with those pickups. Or do it the ampage way and chase the sound by making my own.

In the meantime I tried a Gibson 498t in the bridge, which has a similar vibe but a different response curve, plus a homemade neck pickup to reconcile the 498t and the guitar to my musical universe:

Comment

I played with Sco a bit in the 80's. At that time he used to use maybe a set of 11's or 12's on his Ibanez but he'd put a much heavier than normal high "E" string on them. (This was right around the time that he put his 335 in the closet.) By the way, a few folks do this, including Pat Martino. A lot of people think he uses incredibly heavy strings but as I recall they're just a set of 12's with a "B" string used for the high "E."

He usually uses a pretty fair bit more treble than a lot of folks who play jazz and warms it up with pick angle (plus placing the notes pretty deep in the time pocket.)

Actually he's playing here in town tonight (with Ravi Coltrane) and I won't be able to go 'cause I GOTTA FINISH THESE HERE PEE-CUPS.

Ironically, Ravi was in town a coupla months ago playing with the same band that I recorded with earlier this year (Dave Liebman, Cecil McBee & Billy Hart) and I couldn't go to that one either, because... (I can't bring myself to say it...)

Ironically, this problem of the sound thinning out on the high string is one of my main design goals for a new jazz pickup.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Wow great info - thanks! Must have been a great time playing with him; I have to pay to get that close to his music! What kind of book was it - whose band? Were you on guitar also? Wow must have been fun...

Your info makes me think I'm on the right track. I actually use such a set of strings on my strat - 12 on the first, then like a set of 11's for second and third

I am going to look for a vid of him where I can see what he's doing with the pick - thanks for that info.

Pocket - yeah he is the man. I was real surprised how bad my feel was in that vid I posted... time to shed LOL. That is a great point, though - if you are killin it tends to make the timbre sound right, rather than the other way around...

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
                    I played with Sco a bit in the 80's. At that time he used to use maybe a set of 11's or 12's on his Ibanez but he'd put a much heavier than normal high "E" string on them. (This was right around the time that he put his 335 in the closet.) By the way, a few folks do this, including Pat Martino. A lot of people think he uses incredibly heavy strings but as I recall they're just a set of 12's with a "B" string used for the high "E."

He usually uses a pretty fair bit more treble than a lot of folks who play jazz and warms it up with pick angle (plus placing the notes pretty deep in the time pocket.)

Actually he's playing here in town tonight (with Ravi Coltrane) and I won't be able to go 'cause I GOTTA FINISH THESE HERE PEE-CUPS.

Ironically, Ravi was in town a coupla months ago playing with the same band that I recorded with earlier this year (Dave Liebman, Cecil McBee & Billy Hart) and I couldn't go to that one either, because... (I can't bring myself to say it...)

Ironically, this problem of the sound thinning out on the high string is one of my main design goals for a new jazz pickup.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

I have to pay to get that close to his music!
                      Me too. A lesson (in the basement of Manhattan Plaza where he used to live) turned into just playing a bunch of tunes with two guitars. Actually, we switched axes for some of it.

Comment

This just in.

A somewhat reliable source sez that these Ibanez Super 58's used Alnico 3...

Comment

Super '58s have AlNiCo 3 magnets and are generally 7.5-8.0k, like Super '70s.

Comment

Working...
                          X