Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys know about the "Rosie Wrap" early 50s winding style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if they think it's a waste of time and useless to be honest but if their target market is " vintage " then it's not really what they do , but that's good for you and anyone else who does high output stuff.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by trioderob View Post
      I guess its about money.
      who ever winds the best pickups and can market them
      gets to put alot of money in their pocket.
      Now THAT'S funny! Rob, please do not take this the wrong way- You strike me as someone who is maybe a bit younger, and a bit naive about how the world actually works. NOBODY ever got into the musical instrument repair, custom building, or pickup winding field for the money, EVER. That 'cause you can make more money, make it faster, and easier just about anywhere else. Folks who work in this field do so because they:

A. were interested in the stuff and eventually just ended up doing it as a profession

B. do this work as a sideline to their 'real job'

C. left a different more lucrative line of work to do this because it is more satisfying emotionally

Don't get me wrong, you can earn a decent living in this business, but the amount of effort, time, and expertise needed are somewhat prohibitive. Some of the people in the industry have actually turned their work into a larger company which has enabled them to make a pretty decent living. They are the exception, and seem to have gotten where they are through a bit of luck, such as getting into the industry at the beginning, and/or successfully capitalizing on their early successes. The truth is that Symour Duncan an DiMarzio are household names (in guitar playing households), but for each of those there are a hundred others that never managed to elevate their product to that level of production- Bartolini, Barden, VanZandt, Rolph, Birch, and any winder on this forum.

The part of the original statement that IS true, is that the person who can MARKET their pickups will make the most money. Marketing, which includes advertising, production capability, and distribution, and price, is what has separated the big names from the small ones. Quality and sound have little to do with it. Also, the AMOUNT of money made at the top is still relatively small compared to other industries.

Here's something that will flesh out the situation. Who makes the BEST guitar amps? Are those guys in it for the money? are they rich? With not a lot of argument, two of the 'best' amps in terms of legendary status, sound, and desirability are Dumbles and Trainwrecks. Maybe H.A.Dumble is seeing some cash lately, don't know, but for the majority of his life, and certainly with Ken Fischer, they didn't do any better financially than any other regular Joe working a regular Job- meanwhile, Bill Schultz of Fender, and Jim Marshall did pretty well for themselves. They don't make the best guitar amps, but they market them very sucessfully.

Basically- being the best doesn't equal being the richest, and in this industry, even being the richest is kinda like being king of the hobos.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I recently did my taxes and got to see EXACTLY how little I make

Comment

This reminds me of trying to find one good Mexican resturant while stranded in Cedar City Utah in the 80's... I ordered an enchilada and got what looked just like a taco to me.. but they swore it was and enchilada.. to them it was an enchilada and they swore by it..

I think Spence was correct calling this the "Taco Wrap" and posting the dinner menu choices... LOL!

FWIW I do not care to explain my Enchilada contents, mostley because it taste like a taco and nobody else knows what I'm puttin in them but my Local Utah Customers love em so I'm not changing or giving out the secret recipe...

cheers guys-- I hope you all come up with great unique pups and add beauty to the wonderfull gift of music..

and please never forget its FUN.. and try a little harder to not take the FUN out of it by allowing ourselfs to get to tied up or hung up when things get ugly.. like parts of this thread did..

I do know here that when something knocks the FUN out of all this I do not want to go in the shop and work... it sorta of throws me all out of whack.. you guys feel like that too at times? when it all get to be too much?

I wish it could always be fun an joyfull for everyone.. cause music is music and its one of the greatest things we all share in life ...

enjoy!!!
        Don Mare
        Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

Comment

Don, you got some fair play here. Since google picks it up and all, and you're not telling your secret taco mix. Now thats marketing!!
          Mick- Your on target. I like the VIntage stuff as well, but soooo many have some claims to fame etc......The Eye of the beholder

Comment

Heard of Woman named Rosie

This is my first post.

Just wanted to say that I have heard the myth, true or not, that where was a woman named Rosie whose pickups were desired, something about the way she did it or simply the way they sounded. Fender winder.

This was heard in Atlanta at a guitar store somewhere around 1998.

Comment

Be on the lookout for the "Seth's Mother" pickup from Don, I think he is getting into P.A.F's.

Isn't the name "Rosie" just a made up generic name? I guess it sounds better than just saying machine wound,

Comment

Was Rosie a woman...or the name of a machine...or both?

Here she is potting a Tele bridge pickup.
                Attached Files

Comment

Against my better judgment I will contribute to this thread.

I really haven't heard enough facts behind this Rosie wrap thing to take it all that seriously.

I haven't heard her last name or how long she worked at Fender, I did have a look at Don Mare's site to find out more information and I can't say I was enlightened.

I certain not flaming Don, if I owned a Tele, I'd be after the Nancy sound, I'm a RB fan, saw him live in Sydney (he played a Strat at the time), and Tele pickups appear to be Don's passion.

Triode Rob the question I ask myself is this, is the Rosie wrap something you want to believe in?
                  I'm inclined to think what does it all matter, you either like the pickups or you don't regardless of some old bird winding pickups in the fifties.

Rob, I just think there isn't enough info there to call it credible, and I think this is something Don should wary of, it might somehow be turned around and discredit him. Wouldn't you be annoyed to do all the hard work and only see your products reputation plummet.

Oh well, thats my two cents worth.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Comment

It's all about marketing and/or bollocks. Terry Ybarra told me that when Abigail got dragged out of retirement.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                      ...Was'nt don mare using the "redhouse id here? Got screwed in tha butt with eyes rolling in the back of his head over some 42 Double Build solderon. Saved like $10 for a used roll. The dude at BurgerKing Pickups in England....all his stuff is magic winds too....
                      I'm Redhouse, Brad Burt and my dba is Classic Amplification in Washington (state) I build and sell Custom Amps, Effects since 1996, I've also been rewinding Pickups since building a "Lollar" winder in 2002 and recently making them from parts.

No Whoppers, I'm not in the UK, and geez Nightwinder you can sure be a real dickhead on this forum sometimes, what IS your malfunction?.

Yeah, I bought some 42H a couple years ago, I see you remember that quite well ....because it was mostly YOU who made all the fuss over it, saying I didn't get a good deal since I only saved $60 on a spool, and acting as though 42H wasn't good for anything, that is what I wanted but you and Possum made a huge effort insisting I wasn't going to get any good sound from it.
                      (I still can't understand how saving $60 isn't a good deal to you)

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                      ...BTW, the only thing that blows here is you, while your eyes are rolling in the back of your head while you get it from your backside NEWBY....
                      Here is the thread:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...highlight=deal

I certainly wouldn't call it "screwed in tha butt with eyes rolling in the back of his head" because I got a couple 9-lb spools off the bay for a hundered bucks.

What I did was use roughly 60% of it up practicing winding, patterns, tensions, and speeds etc, and then I built my second winder http://users.isp.com/brad_anne/winder.htm and set up and tested it out with the wire. The wire was relatively cheap (to me) and it didn't bother me at all to wind coils, test them, cut-off the wire and start over, IMHO it was a good plan to ramp up on winding.

BTW in doing all that, I did in fact find some great sound in the 42H, it makes GREAT Strat coils with more mids and hardly any glass. It makes a great HB that can hold up well to overdrive, doesn't get to compressed sounding or woof'ie when running through a JCM800 or Boogie style overdrive and can make great new metal tone. I found that if I made some HB bobbins with taller coil area I could build a HB that sounded very much like a Gretch Filtertron into a standard HB, not to mention low-turns count coils for an active design I'm working on, so IMHO it was soooo worth the while, and it became immediately apparent that you must not have actually tried it, I'm sure you would have found similar results if you had.

Moving forward, I don't know why you feel the need to be such a dickhead Nightwinder, we're all here for some fun. (or should be)
                      Last edited by RedHouse; 09-04-2008, 02:33 PM.
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                        I'm Redhouse, Brad Burt and my dba is Classic Amplification in Washington (state) I build and sell Custom Amps, Effects since 1996, I've also been rewinding Pickups since building a "Lollar" winder in 2002 and recently making them from parts.

No Whoppers, I'm not in the UK, and geez Nightwinder you can sure be a real dickhead on this forum sometimes, what IS your malfunction?.

Yeah, I bought some 42H a couple years ago, I see you remember that quite well ....because it was mostly YOU who made all the fuss over it, saying I didn't get a good deal since I only saved $60 on a spool, and acting as though 42H wasn't good for anything, that is what I wanted but you and Possum made a huge effort insisting I wasn't going to get any good sound from it.

Here is the thread:

I certainly wouldn't call it "screwed in tha butt with eyes rolling in the back of his head" because I got a couple 9-lb spools off the bay for a hundered bucks.

What I did was use roughly 60% of it up practicing winding, patterns, tensions, and speeds etc, and then I built my second winder http://users.isp.com/brad_anne/winder.htm and set up and tested it out with the wire. The wire was relatively cheap (to me) and it didn't bother me at all to wind coils, test them, cut-off the wire and start over, IMHO it was a good plan to ramp up on winding.

BTW in doing all that, I did in fact find some great sound in the 42H, it makes GREAT Strat coils with more mids and hardly any glass. It makes a great HB that can hold up well to overdrive, doesn't get to compressed sounding or woof'ie when running through a JCM800 or Boogie style overdrive and can make great new metal tone. I found that if I made some HB bobbins with taller coil area I could build a HB that sounded very much like a Gretch Filtertron into a standard HB, not to mention low-turns count coils for an active design I'm working on, so IMHO it was soooo worth the while, and it became immediately apparent that you must not have actually tried it, I'm sure you would have found similar results if you had.

Moving forward, I don't know why you feel the need to be such a dickhead Nightwinder, we're all here for some fun. (or should be)
                        Dont let some of these guys get you down.
                        They tend to bash new makers who have a good sound and sell well.
                        I've experienced this myself here.
                        Because of that I share nothing here at all.
                        Though I've found Wade(Nightwinder) to be a good guy.
                        Bryan Gunsher
                        http://www.bg-pups.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

... and then I built my second winder http://users.isp.com/brad_anne/winder.htm
                          That's an impressive little winder, elegant, too.

How did you bend the sheet metal?

If you haven't already, I'd recommend posting a link to your winder essay
                          over on the Tools and Coil Winding Gear forum. It's worth bragging
                          about, IMO.

-The Immoderator
                          He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrangelove View Post
                            That's an impressive little winder, elegant, too.

How did you bend the sheet metal?

If you haven't already, I'd recommend posting a link to your winder essay
                            over on the Tools and Coil Winding Gear forum. It's worth bragging
                            about, IMO.

-The Immoderator
                            I think he did, because I've seen it before. It's a really nice looking winder.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Smarty Pants two steppin"

Here is the thread:

Sorry man. I thought Don Mare was originally using that Screenname. My bad. As far as your "great deal" - If its a great deal to you- Cool. Can you use it? Does it work for you- I think you already expressed your opinion..Again Cool. Thats Great. I've tryed Solderon 42h man-- Just don't like it. Just an opinion...and you've clearly made yours. Maybe you should reread the post a bit. I think others have shared my "opinion" also. Again, An Opinion...Nothing more.
                              What really puzzles me is this...This Thread has been around here for awhile now, and your just now gathered some courage to flame out some stupid comments not once, but twice (It was the same comment btw) in the same post- The last post on this thread was April 24th, until recently. I sure hope that did'nt eat you up for 4 months. It seems your really smart...Sometimes. I know you've read the thread completely befor this.
                              I'm gonna be a nice guy and give you some friendly advise in picture form Since your so smart, you'll figure it out.
                              Nice winder BTW...
                              Attached Files

Comment

I love that little wire guide as I mentioned before...how is that tool working out?

It seems you could get pretty creative with winds without much difficulty.
                                www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Working...
                                X