Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Speaker Selection

Hello People,
    I would like to ask advice on replacing the speaker in my H&K ATS Sixty, this is a soild state amp with a 12AU7 in the overdrive channel. I recently got a bit over zelous with the volume control and cranked her up and the speaker gave up the ghost.

I am seeking some advice with regard to replacing this single speaker, original is 100W, 8 Ohms.

I like a variety of generes, blues, rock, funk. I am not at all into Metal styles of playing.

I look forward to hearing your comments and experiences.

Cheers

Dom
    Last edited by dimdom; 11-11-2011, 07:24 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

Not familiar with that amp. Do you want the tone of the original speaker? Does the speaker have any branding or ID on it? Also, there's just no such thing as a good speaker suggestion. It's such a personal matter since the speaker really is the voice of the amp. Most of us here have been through several speakers at some time or another and most of us have a different opinion about what sounds good.

You can go to the Eminence web site and listen to side by side samples of many of their models. It's a helpful tool.

Sometimes buying a used speaker is nice because you avoid the break in period. I've bought speakers I thought sounded good out of the box only to replace them with something else a year later when they sounded different. And I have speakers I didn't like much out of the box that are great now after breaking in. So a well used speaker won't hold those surprises.

Budget is an issue too. Celestions are expensive. But I can usually find a model I like with whatever amp I'm buying for. Eminence cost a little less, but I haven't liked them as well as the Celestions. WGS makes "clones" of popular speakers and sells them for less. They have a good rep. I haven't tried them. If you want to go all out there are companies like Weber that specialize in small production. You can even order a speaker custom where you choose the magnet size, cone style, doping, etc. Weber has a good rep too. More pricey than Celestions.

Lots of choices, lots of opinions. Everyone loves what they have and everyone has something different.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I like how Eminence has lots of tone samples on their site.
      They are reasonable and they have lots of High power Speakers.
      I have a Celestion V30 in a 50 Watt amp I like, but it's only rated to 60 Watts.
      Sounds like you need something tougher than that.
      Guitar / Bass | Eminence Speaker
      B_T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Hi,
        Thank you for taking the time to reply guys, I appreciate it. Your responses were pretty much along the lines I was thinking, in as much as speaker sound is such a subjective. I think in many ways it is more difficult to select an speaker than an amp, as you can go to any number of stores and try out the amps on offer both new and second hand.

To be honest, I should be foccussing my energy on my playing as opposed to tone, so I will try not to get too bogged down with the choice I will be picking something in a reasonable price range approx £50-£60 ($100ish) and will probally stick to one of the more well known brands, Celestion, Eminence. I havn't heard of WGS. I will research this brand and check their availability in the UK.

I hope one day to build my own amp, once I have built up my knowlede on the various design options etc.

Thanks for you input guys, I was suprised there was not many previous posts on speaker selections.

Cheers

Dom

Comment

Originally posted by dimdom View Post
          Hi,
          Thank you for taking the time to reply guys, I appreciate it. Your responses were pretty much along the lines I was thinking, in as much as speaker sound is such a subjective. I think in many ways it is more difficult to select an speaker than an amp, as you can go to any number of stores and try out the amps on offer both new and second hand.

To be honest, I should be foccussing my energy on my playing as opposed to tone, so I will try not to get too bogged down with the choice I will be picking something in a reasonable price range approx £50-£60 ($100ish) and will probally stick to one of the more well known brands, Celestion, Eminence. I havn't heard of WGS. I will research this brand and check their availability in the UK.

I hope one day to build my own amp, once I have built up my knowlede on the various design options etc.

Thanks for you input guys, I was suprised there was not many previous posts on speaker selections.

Cheers

Dom
          Warehouse Guitar Speakers | Warehouse Guitar Speakers
          They are mainly trying to compete with Celestion.
          Since you are in the UK, You should be Playing Marshall's and Celestions!
          Just Kidding!
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

+1

At least an old Selmer TnB or such. Cheap as dirt there. Costly like boutique in the US.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I've not heard of these Selmer amps before, I will have to do some digging on them, any particular models to look out for?

I have heard great things about the Carlsboro Fatboy, pnp wired. They have a second hand one in a local shop near to where I live, however it is at least £100 over priced

Dom

Comment

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
                Above may be what Chuck is thinking of.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Hi Pete,

Looks like a proper bit of British built kit, been a while since we chruned out stuff like that!

Are they well thought of?

Dom

Comment

'Are they well thought of?'
                    Oh yes, but bear in mind that they lack fx / overdrive, and old amps may be high maintenance until you've worked your way through it. And the original design lacked bias adjustment, so the EL34 may have been running hot.
                    Plus you need to play LOUD to get the benefit.
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                      they lack fx / overdrive... Plus you need to play LOUD to get the benefit.
                      And this is a drawback because...?

Kidding. They're real amps. Whereas most modern guitar amps are almost signal processors. But real tone comes from amps like these. A wha. a delay and maybe a chorus or phase shift on a pedal board combined with a good old amp cranked up could make a believer out of anyone.

If you don't play loud you can still use a vintage style amp to just amplify. That's what they're made for after all. No rules that say you can't plug a POD or whatever into the front end.

As noted, most old amps do need to be gone through. Electrolytic caps, tubes, cleaning and biasing. Often the tubes won't need replacement. Usually at least some won't. Once the job is done you have an amp that's as much or more reliable than most of the modern amps out there.

Comment

The old Selmer amps are highly recommended! Especially the SV version seen there. You should be able to get it cheap because it's so ugly. I paid £100 for mine.

It is a proper tube amp that should sound great with pedals. If you want to get into DIY, you could have endless fun modifying it too.

For guitar speakers in the UK, try Watford Valves, Blue Aran, or even Maplin, who carry the Eminence line. Or if feeling brave buy a Celestion G12 type speaker used on EBay.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                          The old Selmer amps are highly recommended! Especially the SV version seen there. You should be able to get it cheap because it's so ugly. I paid £100 for mine.
                          Yup. I've never had a Selmer, but I've always wanted to try one. I use to buy old Traynor amps as workhorses and mod platforms before the information age drove the price too high. About fifteen years ago I lived in California (USA) and would visit Washington near the border of Canada. I could go into used music stores and pawn shops and see old Traynor amps going between US $50 and $200 all day. Now you would think they were vintage Fenders or something. Get those Selmers while they're still get-able.

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                          Or if feeling brave buy a Celestion G12 type speaker used on EBay.
                          That's how I roll. The G12H30 (anni or heritage) or a V30. Didn't want to make any actual suggestions but there you go.

Comment

Thanks guys, you have done a great job at convincing me with regards to the Selma Amps, Now i've just got to convince the Mrs..... lol.

Obviously I am gonna get a new speaker for my H&K ATS Sixty, i have spent a far bit of time on the Eminence website over the weekend, I was pleased to discover they are all built in the USA. I belive that Celestion have factory in China, I am not sure if all there speakers are built there though.

Thanks for the lsit of suggest stockists, I have also found another company called Lean Audio. They stock Eminence and Celestion.

Cheers

Dom

Comment

Update,
                              I have just purchased an Eminence,. V128 Legend. From Blue Aran. Should be here next day. I'll let you know what the outcome is in due course.... excited.

Cheers

Dom

Comment

Working...
                              X