No announcement yet.

Replacement Speaker Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Selmer Zodiac series would be a good choice as well....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I've become quite gun shy about recommending speakers lately...
      after listening to them tell me what they like or how they play or what they are playing on, .... too many times I suggest something the player doesn't "like it" at all and they think I steered them the wrong way.... and then I find out the goofy player can hardly put three or four chords together in any meaningful way anyhow... sheesh!
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
        .... and then I find out the goofy player can hardly put three or four chords together in any meaningful way anyhow... sheesh!
        They can't play so they buy a 5e3 and expect to sound like Larry Carlton. No matter what's actually wrong with how they sound they'll blame the speaker, output transformer, tubes, guitar pickups, etc.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

hahaha, exactly why i didn't get too hung up on tone etc. For now I need to keep on improving my playing!

Comment

OK, bored with diminished scales now.
            If you don't mind a road trip to Durham, here is a cheap fixer upper
            eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
            May just be the power supply caps, which need replacing anyway.
            At least the noise indicates that the transformers are likely working ok.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Hey Pete,
              Still waiting for the Speaker to be delivered, there had been balls-up made with the delivery addresses with the courier company, hoping to recieve it tommorow. I am just hoping after 4days in the hand of the courier it is still the same shape as a speaker should be, "No mr courier circlular items do not have flat edges".

I have that in my watch list, however the fuel costs form Canterbury to Durham would certinly buy me a working one. I could ask him to quote for courier. and have it as a project.

Mind you just forked out a pretty penny for a new fridge freezer, that decided to retire. I did give notice about 8mths ago and I managed to repair it. Replaced some temp sensors, well made my own really, with maplins thermistors. I think it's the control unti this time, I suspect an MOV, S/C and it still doesn't work, i can't be bothered to spend any more time on it.

Anways this isn't a whitegoods forum, lol Where abouts in Staffs are you from? I Grew up just outside Stoke.

Dom

Comment

Hi Guys,
                Just to let you all know I have my speaker instaled. It wasn't as straight forward as screwing it in, but nothing to difficult. Had to rotate the speaker a little and drill and installed smaller 't-nuts' (M5). Got the speaker in and re-fitted the cloth covering. It's sounds pretty good, especially for the money I paid.

I know the sound will change with time, but on the face of it Eminence seem excellent value for money.

Thanks for you input guys.

Cheers

Dom

Comment

Originally posted by dimdom View Post
                  It's sounds pretty good, especially for the money I paid...

I know the sound will change with time, but on the face of it Eminence seem excellent value for money.
                  Now THAT"S an endorsement!!!

If your not any happier than this, time isn't going to improve your enthusiasm.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

What's the problem, is he supposed to be happier than this?
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Nah... I always shoot for mediocrity. Nothing say's I WANNA ROCK!!! like 'eh... It'll do.'

Comment

This may be one of those '2 nations divided by a common language' situations.

Translation:
                        It'll do (UK) = I WANNA ROCK!! (USA)
                        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Chuck, I appreciate your earlier contributions to the thread.
                          I am sorry you feel my apprasial of the new speaker is somewhat lacking, I'm inclined to agree with you.
                          I could, 10 minutes of my life describing sweet mids, punchy highs and lows analogus to rolling thunder, or how this new speaker has changed my playing.

Truthfully its done none of the above, and I would rather spend my time improving mys playing than analysing frequency responses of a number of speakers, and as stated my amp is not a boutique hand wired piece of amp history, it's a solid state run of the mill amp.

Please forgive the above inadequeces, but there are many more important things in my life than seeking out the ultimate 'tone'.

Cheers

Dom

Comment

I was just having fun. We Americans have no sense of humor

FWIW I agree whole heartedly that time is better spent running a guitar through your amp rather than a signal generator. And plugging the amp into a speaker rather than an oscilloscope. Too many guys out there can't play but are obsessing about their tone as I write. I'd like to be a better player myself but I'm not as clear in my priotities. Rock on.

Comment

I gave up on celestions awhile back except for the blue if you can get your hands on a scumback I think most would like the tone especially the m75

Comment

Working...
                              X