Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate software tuner...?

Just wondering....

Anyone know of an extremely accurate free or inexpensive software tuner? My Boss TU-70 and my ears are good enough for everyday use, but not good enough for tweaking intonation, etc.

Instead of paying high-dollar for a Peterson or something, I was just wondering if there was a software one that would be just as good and accurate.

What would be the pros and cons and otherwise...other than obviously avoiding plopping your guitar down right in front of a CRT?

I Googled some, but who knows how good any are? I know Peterson makes software for $80. Anyone use any of these?

Brad1

Peterson tuners are good instruments. They're expensive, but worth it IMO.

I think that the Peterson software is probably a decent option. Check out their site, as they were recently calling for beta testers of a new version. You might be able to get a freebie.

Personally, there's no way in hell that I'd pay $80 for a software based solution. First of all, it costs a buck or two to make the CD, and they sell it for $80. Sure, it costs something to develop the software, but bear in mind that the incremental unit cost is almost nothing, and using a software based solution chains you down to your PC. At $80, it just doesn't seem like a viable option when you can buy a portable hardware unit for about twice the money. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I used to use Aptuner, pretty good but not in the Peterson league:

http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

S.

Comment

Thanks guys. It was just a curiosity. My Boss is good enough, ONCE the guitar is set up properly. I just figured since I probably wouldn't be doing any micro-tweaking away from home, an inexpensive, but accurate, software tuner might be as good as an expensive box.

Just curious.

Brad1

Comment

Working...
        X