Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which plastic for Plastic pickup covers

Hi All,

Question - I am developing a new pickup cover for a bass pickup I want to make. I'm in the process of having an injection mold made and Im starting to work on what plastic it should be made from.. The walls are thin (1/16th) and its a large cover at almost and inch and a half tall. Does anyone have any thoughts on good plastics to use? Nylon? ABS? Glass-Filled Nylon? Would love to hear any material thoughts and reasons behind said materials

bel
    Attached Files

I was wondering if you abandoned that bass!

Most of the commercial covers seem to be ABS.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

No, just been waiting for the money for the mold. I've got the Bobbins, Screws (20000 in 1008, and 20000 in 12L14), Magnets (including some custom A8 magnets to try). Keepers i'll make myself at the last second.

Still working on what to do for the preamp - I'd like to go with the Noll Fully Parametric EQ pre (4 knob), but I dont know if its too complex to be accepted.

Comment

ABS as far as I know.

Comment

Smooth, sythetic wood grain, or satin? what type of finish do you gusy think would be good?

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
            Smooth, sythetic wood grain, or satin? what type of finish do you gusy think would be good?
            Synthetic wood grain would have the least noticeable wear over time. It won't show scratches like smooth, or burnish like satin. At least not as obviously...

Comment

Hi Matt

Satin finish would match up with any finish, wood grain looks nice with a natural finish but looks naff with say a metallic finish.

Cheers
              Andrew

Comment

I like satin finishes with a little texture to them.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I think David is right...

a matte finish would be the choice here. If you go with a fancy finish like wood grain, dirt would stick to it and if the player sets the pickup close to the strings the detailing would tend to wear off. This is also why shiny 'mirror finish' pickup covers drive me crazy too, every tiny scratch just sticks out no matter what you do.

ken
                  www.angeltone.com

Comment

Hmm interesting - Matte it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Most of the commercial covers seem to be ABS.
                      ABS is easily molded and yet is very tough, and (unlike most plastics) can easily be metallized.

If one metallizes the cover (either inside or outside), one can make very a effective electrostatic shield having essentially zero eddy current loading, as the metal layer is very thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                        If one metallizes the cover (either inside or outside), one can make very a effective electrostatic shield having essentially zero eddy current loading, as the metal layer is very thin.
                        EMG is now doing something like that, but I think they are using a carbon layer. But they have it as part of the cover.

Comment

I've found ABS to be unacceptible, it wears out too quickly and it's susceptible to too many thinners. I'd rather see something like a urethane or nylon 6. Bass pickups are the de facto thumb rest and they are subjected to way more abuse than any guitar pickup. There are conductive plastics that might make effective shields without the eddy currents and also minimize microphonics and handling noise that's evident with internal metal shields without potting.
                          What about PEEK? That shit wears forever. I'm not wild about the faux wood grain, I'd rather seen a textured surface or perhaps some fractal pattern.

Comment

I'm seriously considering glass filled nylon as an option, and the more I think about it some form of matte finish does sound good. I wasnt really intending to shield the cover mainly because its a humbucker and didnt think it was really nessesary

Comment

It should really be Matt !!!!

Cheers

Andrew
                              Hmm interesting - Matte it is then.

Comment

Working...
                              X