Thread: Question regarding PRS sweet switch

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Question regarding PRS sweet switch

Trying to duplicate the "sweet switch" arrangement from an '90 PRS in an LP. I can get the switch assembly at a dealer for about $60, which I think is a bit steep for a DPDT toggle and a small resistor/cap network. I have a part number off my PRS, but can't cross it to any manufacturer. The part number appears to be:

PCA

EPA756

I'm sure I can find a three-wafer rotary switch to do the selector switch using four-wire pickups, but it might be dicey finding a rotary with the splined shaft. I think Stew-Mac offers a rotary, but with a smooth shaft.

Any help'd be appreciated.

Thanks,
    dB

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    why not use the smooth shaft and use a knob that has a grub screw to tighten it, might be best to put that for all the knobs to get it looking uniform. i did pick up a rotary switch a while ago with this idea in mind, havent done it yet though, but i need to make a guitar to do it on.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 6/0
    The Sweet Switch is not a resistor/cap network. Eric Pritchard who worked for PRS wrote this:

Paul Smith called me sometime over 20 years ago and relayed the Carlos Santana's complaint that when he was playing with a wireless, the guitar was too trebly. I suggested that it was created by using a short cord instead of a long jack cord. Well, having a long cord was not too workable, even wound up, so I suggested using a delay line. After messing around with a bunch of lines and investigating the market, Paul settled on a 75 ohm, 150 nanosecond, 10 section delay line and then put it on a double pole double throw mini toggle switch so it could be switched in and out.

In retrospect and considering the work I have done since, it probably can be done with a resistor-capacitor network as well - rather like in the high-end cables.
    So it's actually a passive delay line. These are used in communications applications.

But you can probably do the same thing with a resistor/cap network.

The StewMac rotary switch does have a coarse-knurled split shaft. You can buy the exact same switch with a smooth shaft in Radio Shack for $2.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Thread Information