Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a True bypass switcher with presets

Hi All,

I want to build a true bypass pedal switcher. I have been looking around and my understanding is that the 3PDT switch are the way to go. There are several sites which explain pretty well the concept and it seems pretty easy. The only hard thing that I encounter so far is to find someone who sell big enclosure.

My idea is to try to build a 10 pedal switcher but I also want to have presets. The way I am thinking to get It to work is the following:

Build a 10 pedal true bypass switcher as described on the different web site (www. Singlecoil.com for example).
    Build a box with for example 5 independent switch which are my five presets. The switchs are independent and not connected together. What every switch does is to activate a series of pedal on the big switcher.

Let’s say for example: With the switch number one on the small switcher I want to activate the big muff, flanger and delay which are connected to the big switcher.

In order to do that, switch number one on the small switcher has three wires which connect to the switch corresponding to the big muff, flanger and delay on the big switcher.

My question is: can I turn on a 3PDT switcher without pressing it but just by an electric input from another switch? If not, which switcher can be remotely activated?

I would imagine that all the pedals on the big switcher would be turn off and basically I turn them on by pressing one of the presets on the small switcher.

Build this way it would not be a programmable switcher so the downside is that my presets are fix and I can’t change them unless I move the wires….

I hope that someone can help me resolving this.

Cheers

Matteo
    Attached Files

The "remote controlled switcher" you want, which can be turned on "by an electrical signal", is called a "Relay".
    To make a programmable unit like you want, which turns on or off different pedals in varying combinations, you need to design a "logic board" which, frankly, is a *very* complex job.
    To see some examples of what you are trying to get into, check:
    Effects Pedal Board Systems
    he is *the* guy for that.

PS: if your goals are more modest, you may have, say, 2 strings of pedals and remotely activate either one, the other, or none at all, but treating each string as a single block.

If you want (as you stated originally) to make *each* pedal turn on or off on its own, and at the same time be able to make different combinations at will, I guess you´ll need to talk to Mr Cornish or some other qualified technician.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

What you're asking for isn't too hard to do, but you're trying to go about it in a difficult way. Go to geofex.com and read Programmable FX Switcher with Amp Controls. I've done this and later did it even easier with a microcontroller. Post back here with any questions.

Comment

Working...
      X