eden wt405 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eden wt405 help

I have a Eden head that's been giving me problems lately. It just fizzles and has very low volume output. Anyone have any pointers of where I should start looking? I know a fair amount about electronics, just not a lot with solid state. Maybe output transformer? Anything will help, thanks.

If you have an eden speaker, check that first, it may need a new basket.

Comment

It's through an ampeg 4x10. I've tested the cab with my other acoustic brand head and no issues at all.

Comment

Check to see that preamp out/ power amp in / effects loop jacks have been cleaned.
        Install a patch cord between preamp out/ power amp in jack OR effects send / return jacks. This will bypass the internal jack switch, which might be causing the problem.
        If the problem cuts in and out when you knock on the amp cabinet, re-solder the circuit boards.

Comment

And ... it does not have an output transformer.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Turn the amp on and play some music through it, bang on the amp w/ your hand.
            Does the problem come and go/ cut on and off? Does it make a crackle noise when you bump on it?

Comment

This may help to faultfind.

Does it still have a problem if you turn the compressor off ?

If the output is low volume & severely distorted, i woudl suspect an output transistor. Is one shorted collector to emitter ?
              It could also be one of the MUTE jfets D1, D3 not working properly in the power amp.

Start at the input, inject a 50mV 1Khz sine wave & trace the signal through the amp with a scope.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes I would think a bad FET mute circuit....is worth checking out.

Comment

I had an Eden amp for repair last year - low output/distortion on one channel (800w stereo amp). Turned out to be an electrolytic cap on the power amp board that had a high ESR (capacitance checked ok with a multimeter).

It came back after a short while and needed more electrolytics replacing, this time in the preamp. Worthwhile checking the caps - the amp I repaired had more than its share of bad ones. An easy check in-circuit with an ESR meter.

Comment

Working...
                  X