No announcement yet.

The virus is back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am running Windows XP, IE8, and I performed the HCP Fix, as recommended by Steve Conner in another post.
    I have not seen anything since.
    Link: HCP 0-Day Quick Fix
    It may be the fact that the hacker creeps are targeting other browsers in the same manner.
    Personally, I do not think it is a "Virus" per se.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
      First of all, stop using AVG and obtain a professional anti virus / security system. Do not use free antivirus downloaded from the internet.
      I use the full blown McAfee package and I also get the virus warning for the site. Just passing my findings along.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

I'd like to point out that Macs are far from being immune to malware. It used to be they didn't get hit with it simply because nobody bothered to make a virus that effects less than 10% of computers. However, Apple is gaining market share, and with it the attention of hackers. There is now a significant amount of malware for Mac.

Furthermore, Apple has been really quite bad at security for a long time. OSX can be completely hijacked through Safari within 5 seconds. This was also possible several years ago.

Linux for the win.
        Sine Guitars
        Low-Impedance Pickups

http://sineguitars.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dent View Post
          OSX can be completely hijacked through Safari within 5 seconds. This was also possible several years ago.
          Except, it never happens in real life, only as proof of concept ideas. To get those exploits to work in Safari you need to have the open to open dafe downloads enabled, which it is not by default. All that stuff has since been patched by Apple.

If you go back to the Hack a Mac challenges, no one ever won the prize.

Linux for the win.
          Now try to run the Adobe CS 5.5 package. How about ProTools or even Garage Band? Can't do it, can ya? However I can run Linux software, either by recompiling, or in X-11.

Sorry, but the Mac wins for usability in the real world (and yes, I used to run Linux on one of my older Macs). Mac OS X is what Linux will be when it ever grows up. NeXTSTEP was around a lot longer than Linux. And NeXT style window managers are still popular in Linux. So now NeXT/OPENSTEP is OS X.

I've been using Macs since 1993, and have never had a virus, except for the old MDEF virus, which was totally harmless.

Now I use Norton AV just in case.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Whee... It's "My OS is better than yours" time. Well, I've tried them all and I ended up buying a Mac. OS X is a sort of melting pot of NextStep, BSD and the GNU tools, and Apple's own software engineering, which is getting tastier by the day. Even I got excited about the new stuff like Clang and Grand Central Dispatch.

OS X might not be unbreakable, but I get the impression that someone at least thought about security, unlike Windows. XP and earlier that is: I hear 7 is pretty good.

Linux doesn't get viruses because it doesn't stay still long enough. Every 6 months the geeks get bored and change the internal architecture, and there are a million different distributions to start with. The downside is that you can't get anything done for the same reason. That's bad enough for the users, but the application developers can't get anything done either! So all the good Linux tools are command line, that way they won't break when someone changes the GUI toolkit next Tuesday.

And I bet there are some exploits for popular distros like Ubuntu, and web servers running Apache and the like.
            Last edited by Steve Conner; 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

This site scanned MLF for issues.
              All that it found was that it is indeed Blacklisted.
              Link:Sucuri SiteCheck - Free Website Malware Scans
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                OS X is a sort of melting pot of NextStep, BSD and the GNU tools...
                NeXTStep was part BSD also.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

To get those exploits to work in Safari you need to have the open to open dafe downloads enabled, which it is not by default. All that stuff has since been patched by Apple.
                  Did this happen within the past month? Because if not, then it hasn't been successfully patched. And a similar exploit worked two years ago.

Now try to run the Adobe CS 5.5 package. How about ProTools or even Garage Band? Can't do it, can ya?
                  I run Windows 7 on my desktop. Linux is on my netbook, which can't do any of that anyway.

In the past year there have been a few bits of malware, particularly spyware, going around for OS X. The tendency of Mac users is to assume that their expensive computers are immune to viruses, pretty much ignoring security entirely, which in fact leaves them quite vulnerable. That is what I was trying to discourage. It's wise of you to actually run AV software.
                  Sine Guitars
                  Low-Impedance Pickups

http://sineguitars.webs.com

Comment

Google Scan

Here is the latest Google Scan.

Advisory provided by
                    Safe Browsing
                    Diagnostic page for music-electronics-forum.com
                    What is the current listing status for music-electronics-forum.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 283 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-11-26, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-11-25.
                    Malicious software includes 1 scripting exploit(s), 1 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including deqhkshrm.dnset.com/, xpqnwqn.ninth.biz/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including weidlqy.compress.to/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS29933 (OFF).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, music-electronics-forum.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

Return to the previous page.
                    If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
                    Updated 5 hours ago

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dent View Post
                      Did this happen within the past month? Because if not, then it hasn't been successfully patched. And a similar exploit worked two years ago.
                      Apple releases security updates about once a month. None of those exploits ever worked in real life, and were demonstrations. When the laptops were hacked in those demonstrations, the built in firewall was turned off, and the Mac was not behind a router. To date the only people who's Macs have been infected by something got it by downloading a file they either thought was a JPEG, MP3 file, or a pirated application, and willfully clicked on it, and then stupidly entered their password when asked.

I use Macs for a living, so I keep up on this stuff.

I run Windows 7 on my desktop. Linux is on my netbook, which can't do any of that anyway.
                      I have a friend who runs Linux on his desktop, and is always saying I should use Linux. When I point out to him that most of the software I use on a daily basis wont work, he says "boot into Windows". Now why would I want to do that? I have a better OS than Windows, and one that's based on Unix like Linux. Seems like contrary logic to me.

In the past year there have been a few bits of malware, particularly spyware, going around for OS X. The tendency of Mac users is to assume that their expensive computers are immune to viruses, pretty much ignoring security entirely, which in fact leaves them quite vulnerable. That is what I was trying to discourage. It's wise of you to actually run AV software.
                      They haven't really been going around. Most are created and then "spotted" by "security firms". Apple then patches the exploit as soon as it's made public. Nobody in the wild has gotten any of these on their Macs.

As an example, I have my malware warning turned off in Safari. I am getting no warnings from Norton, because there's nothing in those flash files that can run on my machine.

Comment

I just tried to get in using Firefox, it wouldn't let me in. IE let me in, but I got a malicious exploit warning from Avast:

Click image for larger version

Name:	virus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	823514
                        Stop by my web page!

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials just grabbed this little cutie as I came into the forum.
                          It appears to be a Javascript Exploit.
                          Come on T-Boy.
                          I'm outa here until this crap gets cleared up!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well it seems like this also happened last year:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t18935/

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              and I don't mean me.

I tried to sign in, and I got the same AVG virus warning I used to get last week, with the same virus mentioned before.

Happy Thanksgiving,
                              ken
                              What is the current listing status for music-electronics-forum.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 281 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-11-26, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-11-25.

Malicious software includes 1 scripting exploit(s), 1 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including deqhkshrm.dnset.com/, xpqnwqn.ninth.biz/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including weidlqy.compress.to/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS29933 (OFF).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, music-electronics-forum.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Comment

Working...
                              X