Making Amplifier Layouts, & Schematics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Amplifier Layouts, & Schematics

What is the easiest way to make and alter Amp Layouts, and Schematics?
    Keep in mind, I am a newbie at this but want to Alter amp Layouts, and schematics.
    Any help appreciated, but KIS (Keep it Simple)!
    Thanks,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Personally, I am big fan of one-quarter-inch square-ruled paper and a pencil. But I'm guessing you are looking for a computer design program?

Comment

Originally posted by JHow View Post
      Personally, I am big fan of one-quarter-inch square-ruled paper and a pencil. But I'm guessing you are looking for a computer design program?
      That would work, but I want to be able to shuffle it around with email.
      I would like to be able to take a layout, or schematic, and remove, cut, copy, & Paste.
      Later,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

For cutting & pasting I use a snagit program called "Cropper".
        It sends the image to the clipboard.
        I also like to use "Cute PDF Writer: for converting bmp, jpg type files to pdf format.

Comment

My tools are :
          for Layouts :A vectorial drawing program such as illustrator, corel or similar.
          Schematics: Eagle
          Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
            My tools are :
            for Layouts :A vectorial drawing program such as illustrator, corel or similar.
            Schematics: Eagle
            Same. I use Eagle for schems/PCBs, and Illustrator for turret layouts and basic chassis layout (transformer position, jacks, etc). I use Inventor for chassis designs.
            -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
              Same. I use Eagle for schems/PCBs, and Illustrator for turret layouts and basic chassis layout (transformer position, jacks, etc). I use Inventor for chassis designs.
              Looks like you have to pay real money for those.
              I forgot to mention, I'm retired and Broke!
              B_T
              Terry

Comment

Eagle has a freeware version which has some limitations, but is more than adequate for schematics (Freeware | Free PCB Design Software | CadSoft EAGLE |)
                You can use Inkscape in place of Illustrator. Inkscape is open source so it is free.
                I haven't found any decent open source/freeware modeling software. "Decent" meaning I can make to-scale models and drawings. DXF output is nice too
                -Mike

Comment

Would you believe I just use MSPaint?!?

Once you make the initial component characters it actually works pretty well. Cut and paste for days. You can even cut, paste and modify existing schematics very easily.

I have two starter programs. One with some of my favorite layouts already done that can be pasted in place as I wish. And another that just has component characters and value signatures. On an all new design it can be time consuming. But I doubt other programs aren't with an all new design.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    Would you believe I just use MSPaint?!?

Once you make the initial component characters it actually works pretty well. Cut and paste for days. You can even cut, paste and modify existing schematics very easily.

I have two starter programs. One with some of my favorite layouts already done that can be pasted in place as I wish. And another that just has component characters and value signatures. On an all new design it can be time consuming. But I doubt other programs aren't with an all new design.
                    I use Adobe Photoshop Elements like you use MSPaint (it is not quite as limited). Over at AmpGarage many people are using the same basic drawings I posted 12 years ago, but editing them with a paint program to change the values and configurations. (I had used TurboCAD to create those drawings back then, making up templates and symbol sets which I could reuse over and over again.)

Steve Ahola
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                      I use Adobe Photoshop Elements like you use MSPaint (it is not quite as limited). Over at AmpGarage many people are using the same basic drawings I posted 12 years ago, but editing them with a paint program to change the values and configurations. (I had used TurboCAD to create those drawings back then, making up templates and symbol sets which I could reuse over and over again.)

Steve Ahola
                      Thanks Steve:
                      I'm a member over there, how do I get a copy of some of it?
                      I'm big_teee over there also.
                      Terry
                      Terry

Comment

I just use Microsoft XL, the drawing applications. Make the row height 14, column width 1.71 to get a square graph paper effect to line stuff up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
                          I just use Microsoft XL, the drawing applications. Make the row height 14, column width 1.71 to get a square graph paper effect to line stuff up.
                          Thanks, I do like XL.
                          Right now I am Trying to conquer TinyCAD.
                          A friend of mine directed me to it, and it seems easy enough.
                          I like the way it has all the symbols that you place.
                          It has a pretty good collection of Tubes, Most programs seem to be for PCBs now.
                          If you want to try TinyCAD, you can get it here.
                          SourceForge.net: TinyCAD - tinycad
                          Terry
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            Thanks Steve:
                            I'm a member over there, how do I get a copy of some of it?
                            I'm big_teee over there also.
                            Terry
                            I think that people just downloaded the files from Schematic Heaven and started editing them with much-appreciated corrections. That would be the Liverpool Rocket and 1997 ODS drawings.

Steve Ahola
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:
                            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I use ExpressPCB/SCH for schematics: ExpressPCB - Free PCB layout software - Low cost circuit boards - Top quality PCB manufacturing
                              Its free and does the job. It doesn't have some of the more useful components in but they're pretty easy to make. If you want to try it out I can upload some of the custom components I have.

I do my initial layouts on 5mm squared paper to shoot out ideas of what will work for the board and then use inkscape to draw out the chassis. I do sometimes use solidworks for some things as I have access to it at work but its total overkill.

Comment

Working...
                              X