Ampeg Portaflex B-15NB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Portaflex B-15NB

I recently got this Ampeg Portaflex B-15NB into the workshop for repair. The customer didn't want a full restoration job, but did want it working again.
    I've guessed it dates from 1967, but I could be way out, any help in dating it would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ampeg20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	864927

Probably easier to link to the page on my site than upload all the stuff here.

click here for info

Interesting job...

Personally I never concern myself with the year, I leave that to the fans and collectors. But when someone MUST know, I suggest looking at the controls and other large parts for date codes.

Date codes are usually on pots, that old can cap probably had one on it. Transformers often do, but the potted ones often don't. And don;t forget the speaker.

The amp can;t be any older than the youngest parts it was made with.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The pots look like 1966, can't find a code on the cap or the speaker - so my guess is probably pretty close.

Comment

Wow, that wax pic made my day. Thanks.

I've seen wax stalactites and stalagmites under transformers, but never anything like that.

Should be really rewarding to get the amp going again.

A fun thing to do with those for guitar is jumper the channels with one all bass and the other all treble.

Comment

Beautiful cleanup job from this:

Name:	ampeg08.jpg
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	823571

to this!

Name:	ampeg18.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	823570

Fantastic work.

And yes, 1967 looks about right to me.

RWood

Comment

That's actually a 1963(ish) B15. The B15NB had a semiconductor rectifier. Earlier and later models used valves
            It looks like it also has the correct (pre 1964) Double Baffle cabinet. Nice amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
              That's actually a 1963(ish) B15. The B15NB had a semiconductor rectifier. Earlier and later models used valves
              It looks like it also has the correct (pre 1964) Double Baffle cabinet. Nice amp.
              Thanks for your info Ted. Interesting that both post AND pre '63 had valve rectifiers - I didn't know that !

Comment

Very nice work Allan.
                You wrote that the customer didn't want a full restoration, just get it working.
                Wow. You did a lot more than just get it working.
                Regards,
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                  Very nice work Allan.
                  You wrote that the customer didn't want a full restoration, just get it working.
                  Wow. You did a lot more than just get it working.
                  Regards,
                  Tom
                  Thanks Tom

When I said he didn't want a full restoration I meant that he didn't want the cabinet restored, so I just gave it a clean and spent all the time (and his money) on the amp itself.

He is very happy with the end result, and uses it for recording. He produces other bands now more than he performs so a number of bands are getting the benefit.

Comment

Ampeg dating information can be found here: The Unofficial Ampeg Page
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                      Ampeg dating information can be found here: The Unofficial Ampeg Page
                      Thanks for that!

As it's SerNo. is 402494 it would seem that it dates from February 1964.

Comment

Working...
                      X