X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Define "Note Definition & Articulation"

I hear musicians talking about this when referring to pickups ,
    Pickups lack note definition or not articulate enough
    in humbuckers ,Is this something you can manipulate/control with the way you wind & the amount of tension
    or are other factors at play like type of screws & slugs

Keep your humbucker bright sounding, and it will be articulate. Otherwise you lose what you are playing in a sea of mud.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks .
      along with my no note definition & not being articulate can a pickup be harsh sounding
      i guess in other words can a pickup be dull & harsh

Comment

Articulation is what a semi truck has that an ordinary truck doesn't.

To me at least, dull and harsh are opposite ends of the same stick, so you'd have to try hard to get both at once.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          To me at least, dull and harsh are opposite ends of the same stick, so you'd have to try hard to get both at once.
          That's easy, just get a 14K Epi bridge HB and set it too close to the strings. There you have it. Boomy and harsh at the same time.

HTH,
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

What's the difference between boomy and dull?
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

If Mr. Lemme's notes are to be believed, dull pickups have a low or non-existant (close to fully damped) resonant peak no matter the setting of the tone control after them. Boomy pickups, on the other hand, have a slightly higher low-frequency content (close to the fundamental tones). Having less highs isn't the same as having more lows.
              Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
              Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

"note definition" and "note separation" are a couple things that tend to be more apparent to the player than the audience. "Articulation" is a little more fuzzy to me, it gets used in a few too many ways to be sure.

"note definition" - sometimes when you play you just hear this smear, and the percussiveness of the playing takes over, and it seems like you could be playing brilliantly or forgetting what key you're in, and all you'll hear is "plink plink plink" - that is poor note definition. Also, if each note has the same sort of character because of some electrical phenomenon (like a little hump at a certain frequency, or a buzz from a cheesy fuzz pedal) they can all smear together. GOOD "note definition" is when the notes you're playing sound truer to their harmonic structure. A given pitch will still be a given pitch in either case, but it is more obvious when "note definition" is nailed. Tonics sound like tonics, fifths sound like fifths, etc. Bowed instruments have excellent "note definition" to my ears. Often this has more to do with the amp and in terms of selecting your gear wisely for your playing situation. I've had this problem with strats when I have an amp that I have to play waaay too low in a given setting.

"note separation" is a term you hear often too, and that is more a phenomenon you get when you're playing chords, and is usually a jazz thing. Strum a chord... do you hear it as one sound blended together (like a good chorus, recorded from the other end of a cathedral) or do you hear it as four, five or six sounds blending together (a smaller, folk style vocal group when you can pick out individual voices)? To my ears, this is the biggest thing that affects this is guitar design and strings - flatwounds "separate" more to my ears, which is what makes them lovely for chord melodies, and phosphor bronze blends very well, which is why strummers think they sound so pretty. Having good string balance on pickups helps too.

Comment

What's the difference between boomy and dull?
                  Boomy too much low end. Dull is lack of top end. You can have boomy and still have top end.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

OK, so boomy and harsh means too much lows and too much highs, with not enough mids in between.

That is possible, unlike dull and harsh, which is too little highs and too much highs.

The jazzmen like note separation because they play all these over-complicated chord voicings.

Comment

OK, so boomy and harsh means too much lows and too much highs, with not enough mids in between.

That is possible, unlike dull and harsh, which is too little highs and too much highs.
                      Harsh might mean upper mids more than highs. Too much high end and it's "ice picky".

Comment

Yep, that sounds about right

Another idea of mine is that anything that has lots of bumps and dips in its frequency response ought to have poor "articulation", "definition", "separation" or whatever. According to all that Fourier stuff, a frequency response with lots of fine structure implies a lot of ringing and muddled behaviour in the time domain.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          Keep your humbucker bright sounding, and it will be articulate. Otherwise you lose what you are playing in a sea of mud.
                          You can always remove treble content, but you cant add it

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            Harsh might mean upper mids more than highs. Too much high end and it's "ice picky".
                            And too much high end and not enough low end and mids and it becomes glassy.

Another idea of mine is that anything that has lots of bumps and dips in its frequency response ought to have poor "articulation", "definition", "separation" or whatever. According to all that Fourier stuff, a frequency response with lots of fine structure implies a lot of ringing and muddled behaviour in the time domain.
                            Going by frequency response alone, I'm not sure how much water that holds - yes, it implies a lot of ringing, but I'd guess it depends on the Q-factor of each crest and dip. After all, all side-by-side humbuckers have a bit of comb filtering going on, and that doesn't break the sound.

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                            Which is true enough - until someone sticks an onboard preamp and buffers it all so very little if any treble is lost - but that's another ballgame altogether.
                            Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
                            Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                              Of course you can. Pickups do not fall off that fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X