What type of pickups are these? 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of pickups are these? 2

hi i found in the web, a guy that is a archop guitar collector, they are all from the 50s to the 70s guitars i guess, and some this guitars have different type of pickups, "cheese-grater" pickups. Also other guitars like ORPHEUM Electric Guitar (rare) have an dearmond rowe pickups. Here is the website (the first guitar is in the video):

American Electrics

Listen to this:

Someone have information about this "cheese-grater" pickups?

Thanks

Juan Motta

Here is another guitar with this pickups, the sound is dark and dirty no? (i donīt know if is this a good explanation of the sound, maybe not...) I like this type of sound, it sound like old record!!.

Comment

They are Kay's most basic pickup, built very similar to a Dearmond but more crudely executed. There's a bar magnet with thin flatwork riveted to a baseplate. The whole assembly is stuck up into the cover with something that acts like it is a mix of beeswax and hot glue.
      Kay put them on most of their lower end electrics. The Mid-level electrics got "speed bump" pickups and the high end got "kleenex box" pickups.

Comment

They are both the same pickup, some are hotter than others. Those guitars are both very different acoustically. Alnico flat bar magnet on steel baseplate, magnetized top and bottom instead of edges. I like 'em.
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Thanks for the helping my!!

regards

Juan Motta

Comment

These are the type that I am interested in making. I want to make those really flat surface-mount type. I really like the upper-mid/rolled-off-treble sound they have. (I also hate routing pickup cavities in my neck-through constructs) Eastwood sell some replicas of this type, (a little bit pricey, for far-east made, but still a bargain) but they still aren't as flat and easy to mount as the real thing. Has anyone on this forum ever made anything like these?
            Last edited by Puguglybonehead; 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X