Some experimentation with Dearmond Rowe type pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some experimentation with Dearmond Rowe type pickups

Hi, i have a cuestion about the construction of this pickups because i want to experiment using 2 bar magnets of 2,5"x0.5"x0.125" of alnico 5 one over the other, with this method i want to make a higher magnet. The Magnet size for this pickups are diferent but i want to experiment, Is posible to use this method of mounting magnets?

Thanks

Juan Motta

Looks like your talking bucker magnets here and that won't work. The north south will be running across the face and you will need the n/s up through the .250 you will have made. Underside to top side not left side to right side.

Comment

I put one magnet under the other and i used a compass and the norht and south are in the right and left side, the north and the south are also underside and the top side?

Comment

The magnet has to have the poles facing up and down, not on the sides.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hola cenizas blancas, el imán que compraste no te sirve para un De Armond, compraste para Humbuckers que está magnetizado de otra forma.

Some experimentation with Dearmond Rowe type pickups

Hi, i have a cuestion about the construction of this pickups because i want to experiment using 2 bar magnets of 2,5"x0.5"x0.125" of alnico 5 one over the other, with this method i want to make a higher magnet. The Magnet size for this pickups are diferent but i want to experiment, Is posible to use this method of mounting magnets?

Thanks

Juan Motta

jonson

Looks like your talking bucker magnets here and that won't work. The north south will be running across the face and you will need the n/s up through the .250 you will have made. Underside to top side not left side to right side.

Parece que estás hablando de imanes humbuckers, no va a andar. El norte/sur ahora está de costado, lo necesitás de arriba/abajo en los .250 de pulgada que armaste. De arriba/abajo, no de izquierda a derecha

cenizasblancas

I put one magnet under the other and i used a compass and the norht and south are in the right and left side, the north and the south are also underside and the top side?

No, mediste correctamente que están derecha/izquierda, *no* arriba/abajo.
          La polaridad es una u otra, no las 2 al mismo tiempo.

David Schwab

The magnet has to have the poles facing up and down, not on the sides.

El imán necesita los polos arriba/abajo, no de costado

big teeeeeeeeeee
          The Bar Magnets you listed are Humbucker Magnets.
          Humbucker Magnets are polarized on the edges.
          North is on one long edge, and south is on the other long edge.
          If you stack them they are still magnetized on the edge.
          The DeArmond Pickup needs a magnet that is polarized on the flats,(Up and Down on the Flats, not the edges).
          These DeArmond Rowe type magnets are not readily available.
          They usually have to be special made.
          I hope this helps to understand those type of magnets.
          Terry

Los imanes que tenés son de Humbuckers, están polarizados hacia los bordes, norte hacia un borde (a lo ancho), sur hacia el otro.
          Si los apilás siguen polarizados igual.
          El De Armond necesita uno imantado en el sentido angosto /arriba/abajo), no a lo ancho.
          No son fáciles de conseguir.
          Usualmente deben ser hechos a pedido.
          Espero ayudarte a entender.
          Terry

Dear guys.
          My doubt is: do you know whether the Alnico used there is anisotropic (can be magnetized only in one way) or isotropic (can be magnetized in any way)?
          Because in the latter case, I can re-magnetize cenizasblancas's magnets on my speaker magnetizer, as a service to a friend.
          He´s in another Country, but only 35 miles from Buenos Aires (across a *big* river, widest in the World)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Plata_buenos_aires_montevideo_map.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	823586
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I did the experiment for you. You can use A2, A3, or A4 magnets stacked on top of eachother and you can magnetize through the large flat faces. I get about 150 with two stacked A4 magnets taped together. You should glue them together with silicone caulk. They also must be glued to a steel baseplate, this will increase the charge and gauss and keep the magnets from losing the charge. So, yes it will work but not with alnico 5. I have custom alnico magnets for my DeArmond style magnets and they hold the same charge as stacked A4 magnets do.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Gracias por la traduccion Juan Manuel!!!

I have alnico 5 and alnico 2, and i have 2 neodimium disk of 0.5"x0.5", but i only have 3 bars of alnico 2 so if it sound great, i can only build one....

Comment

Thanks, possum.
                On *speaker* magnets that can´t be done, they are maximized/oriented (when cast and still liquid) in one way, that of the future magnetization, and proportionately weaken on the other orientation, but I have no experience on pickup magnets.

cenizasblancas: no te vuelvas loco, armá con lo que tenés, que ya es mucho; paso a paso experimentá otras cosas.

I did the experiment for you. You can use A2, A3, or A4 magnets stacked on top of eachother and you can magnetize through the large flat faces. I get about 150 with two stacked A4 magnets taped together. You should glue them together with silicone caulk. They also must be glued to a steel baseplate, this will increase the charge and gauss and keep the magnets from losing the charge. So, yes it will work but not with alnico 5. I have custom alnico magnets for my DeArmond style magnets and they hold the same charge as stacked A4 magnets do.

Ya hice el experimento por vos: con A2/3/4 apilados podés magnetizar a través de las caras anchas; consigo 150(Gauss) con 2 A4 pegados con cinta.
                Lo mejor es pegarlos con caucho de silicona (Fastix) y a su vez a una chapa/base de hierro que te ayuda a mantener la carga.
                O sea, funciona pero no con Alnico5.
                Tengo imanes especialmente hechos para mis De Armond y tienen la misma carga que apilar 2 A4.

PD: ni me quiero imaginar el ASADO que me estoy ganando con ésto (o algunos chivitazos)
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ja, dale sale un asado!! pero si venís para Colonia nos vamos a morir de hambre porque acá está carisimo!!! ja ja
                  Si, tenes razon.... pero tengo tantas ganas de probar diferentes? ja
                  Mañana o pasado, empiezo a bobinar el primer micro de viola!!!

How many gauss i get from 2 bars of alnico 2?

Comment

How many gauss i get from 2 bars of alnico 2?
                    Don´t worry. just do it.
                    All previous calculations are nothing compared to actually winding and hearing it.
                    Good luck.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X