Sick Laney VC30 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Laney VC30 112

Hi guys. I was hoping one of you experts might point me in the right direction to find a fault in my VC30.

I started getting loud crackling, then the output dropped drastically and stayed there. Duff tube I thought, so purchased a complete new set of good quality tubes and then discovered that Laney wire up pins 1 and 6 on the bases... Solved that problem by clearing the pins and leaving the resistors safely 'in the air'.

That didn't solve the amp problem though, it just allowed me to use the new set of valves without blowing HT fuses all the time. It's still way below par but both channels work. The real puzzle, for me anyway, is the fact that the tone controls are now acting as volume controls! If the tone controls are turned down all the way, the output disappears, which makes me think I have a component, probably capacitor, knackered (UK term for f.....) around the first stage.

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this, or if anyone has experienced the same problem and managed to trace the cause.

Thanks.

The schematic: http://www.geocities.com/cotestatnt/laneyvc30.pdf
    Turning down all tone controls the sound dissapears. Itīs normal like a Twin Reverb (tone stack is basically the same).
    If the lead channel is capable of generating all his overdrive (though with low volume) search behind: voltage in plates, loop mix pot, +-15V line and other critical places.
    Loop and reverb circuit are all with SMD components (difficult to test), but if you want, its posible make a total bypass (disconnecting R19 and R28 and doing a bridge)... Good luck

Comment

Laney

Thanks for the reply Pedro, and the schematic, which helps a great deal. I should have remembered about the tone controls as I had a Fender Twin years ago. Old age.....

I'll check through all the voltages marked on the diagram, but from the first couple I've done the voltage seems to be way too high. That should narrow it down a bit. Thanks again.

Comment

laney vc30 diagram

Hi there, the link doesn't work, could you please send the diagram of the laney vc30 to v.nicola@infinito.it ?

cheers...

Nic

Comment

Use this server:
          http://www.bymcomunicacion.com/pveci.../laneyvc30.pdf

Amaretto for me, please

Comment

Working...
          X