Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 4 Tube Amp From Scratch

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 569/3
    Given: 298/0
    Have fun with your new scope.

Dual trace capabilities is a real nice feature.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks a lot, Mr. Bass!

I am watching lots of vids and trying to go slow so i learn it and know it's limitations. One thing is the 250v peak max on the probes, so I'm a little nervous about using it on tube stuff, but I have much to learn.

Very cool that with dual-trace you can check out phase issues.

Sounds like you have one, any input for me on using it with tube gear?

By the way, what bass amps have you made/bought? After this project (and my tube eq) i'm building my brother a B-15n, already have all the parts and the iron from Mercury (like $450 worth!!!!!). I've also seen a killer project that allows you to switch between 3 different B-15 models (like switching between SS and Tube rectification, etc).

Hope you slept in, did what you wanted and ate like a fiend today! I sure did. :-)

Re: the layout. I have to look into the heater wiring a bit more, this isn't right.

Re: next holiday season. Going to find a way to take all my dead tubes and stick a bunch of LEDs in them and string them up as the ultimate tube-lover xmas lights!!! Anyone interested in a set?! I have like 200 TV tubes to spare!

Thumbs Up/Down

a wee update and a new question...

I figured I'd just dive in on soldering it up and see where that lands me. I'm about 3/4 of the way done on it; probably only one more session to go and it should be ready for the smoke and poke testing.

Hoping I find my variac in storage tomorrow. If not, i still have my lightbulb-test setup here on hand.
    (Will be double checking all the wiring before then)

Question: Since it seems i can't get a presence control happening on this design, (and since i already drilled the hole for its pot; what a gun-jumper!), I'm wondering if i can make it a pre-amp output jack, instead. Since the signals rolling thru the 6AT6 and the 12AX7 it could be a fun pre-amp sound. Any input on that output anyone?! :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-7-15.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	32795

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,610/4
    Given: 3,067/0
    You might use a preamp out, and you might not. The real tone generator in this design is the power tube and speaker, it's such a simple amp. How about a power reduction switch? The switch could insert something like a 5R/5W series resistor and another 5R/5W parallel to the speaker making the amp about 1/3 power. Since even a small, single ended amp can be too loud at times for home practice when cranked it would probably get more use than a preamp out... You asked

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hi Chuck!
    I think that's a grand idea.
    Though I am curious about the preamp, so if that's doable, i might give it a go. I'll take a look at some schemos and see if i can figure something out.
    So, for the power reduction, that's one resistor in series between the OT and the speaker jack, and another going across the two output jack leads?
    Also, couldn't I just do an extra jack on the back without a switch?

Thread Information