5F2A Coupling Cap Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F2A Coupling Cap Values

I've got a homebrew 5F2A that started life as a Champ. It's configured as a head and open back cabinet with a Weber 12A125. I've always found it a bit harsh sounding in the cleans, so I've been playing around with the tone stack - changed the .0047 tone cap to .01 - nice change overall. But, I'm now thinking of the .022 cap before the power tube - on most other tweeds, that's .047 or .1 - I'm assuming that it was made small to keep the little speaker from crapping out. So I'm wondering about swapping that out to let a little more of the lows through and give the cleans a bit more body. Or would it even make a difference? Going to try it tonight, just wondering if anyone else has played around with this.....

AJ2000

The corner frequency of .02uF and 220K is 36Hz. So increasing the coupling cap to the 6V6 will be barely audible. But, it's all a matter of playing style and personal taste so go ahead and experiment.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I never bother with the math, but I sort of figured that might be the case. For what it's worth, I tried a 0.1 and it actually seemed detrimental to the sound - mushed it up a bit - back to stock- I guess after 60-odd years it would have been done if it was an improvement - if it ain't broke.....

Comment

Working...
      X