Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FX Pedal & Pedalboard Cabling: What Specific Type of Bulk Cable or Wire Do I Need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX Pedal & Pedalboard Cabling: What Specific Type of Bulk Cable or Wire Do I Need?

Hello Folks,

I've been trying to finalize the setup of a fairly sophisticated wet/dry/wet system here with multiple FX pedals and rack processors and foot controllers, etc., but I need some guidance from the experts regarding the types of cable or wire needed for FX pedals and pedalboard connections in-general.

I'm no technically-trained electrical or audio engineer, but given the different lengths and connectors required (i.e., short vs. long run, TS vs. TRS, angled vs. straight, etc.), I'm going to need far too many configurations to allow for over-the-counter (store-bought) patch cables, so I've been researching the feasibility of making my own, using the appropriate (TS vs. TRS, straight vs. angled) 1/4" connectors and bulk wire. But therein lies my problem - I don't know what specific type of bulk wire (or cable) I need for pedal (or pedalboard) connections.

Specifically, can someone help me understand the differences between the following:

1) Microphone (often called "Signal") Wire
    2) Instrument Cable (or Wire), and
    3) Speaker Wire

As I understand it, simple (mono) connections like pedal-to-pedal are essentially "signal wire", so theoretically, all I should need is 2-conductor wire, right? And yet, suppliers will often list their products as "microphone/signal" wire and I believe microphone cable is three (3), not two (2) conductor? Things like this are causing me some confusion.

Basically, what I need to know is . . . what are the relevant differences between these three (above referenced) types of wire, and which of the three specific types of bulk wire do I need to prepare (TS/mono) pedal/pedalboard cables?

Thanks to All!
    "I am not the same having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."

Maryanne Radmacher Hershey

The properties of the cable will depend on the application and the length. If everything connected to and within your pedalboard is "true bypass", then the wire portions effectively sum with each other and you'd want the lowest possible cable capacitance type, since capacitance increases per linear foot. If your cabling is running between stages that provide effective buffering and impedance optimization, then the cable capacitance is effectively "reset" between stages, and other electrical/electronic properties of the cable start to matter more.

As well, there are physical properties to consider. Does the cable have to turn sharp corners? Some cable can have great electronic properties but can't handle sharp turns at short lengths, while other types can turn corners with ease, even though they come up a little short in other areas.

Comment

The Rane technical note 110 may help with this
      Sound System Interconnection
      Pete.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I'm slowly getting a better feel for it and the Rane document is fantastic! It would appear at this point that all I really need for standard FX pedal connections is two-conductor wire, but I'm afraid I still don't understand how and why some merchants classify so-called "microphone cable" as "signal" cable? They're clearly not the same thing.

Comment

Microphone cable and signal cable aren't really proper technical classifications. Microphone cable is usually balanced (2 cores and screen) but it can be unbalanced (single core and screen). Signal cable could be anything that wasn't power cable.

The merchant should tell you if the cable has 1 or 2 cores, what kind of screening it has, and what is the capacitance per foot. If they can't tell you, try a different merchant.

The "instrument cable" used for making guitar cords would be a good choice for most connections, as it's supposed to have low capacitance. For connections that need to be balanced, you can use mic cable. If you buy some of each, that should cover anything.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks Steve! That helps a lot. I'm just an amateur (home studio based) hobbyist, trying to figure out what type of cable I can purchase in bulk that would be well-suited for making my own short (6-8") 1/4" TS x 1/4" TS pedalboard cables. Problem is, few if any merchants sell bulk "instrument" cable, and the last thing I need to do is purchase 200-300 feet of the wrong stuff (!!), so in shopping, I've gotta decipher just what it is that a given merchant has in-stock. And you're absolutely right, most merchants do not provide adequate information in terms of specific product details.

Comment

I've built an instrument cable out of microphone cable, thinking that adding up the two microphone leads into one would give me perfect signal. Turns out it was the most microphonic(accidental pun) guitar cable I ever built, if I tap the cable with the slightest touch it'll come out on the amplifier. Used nice Amphenol plugs and did a rather good job on the shrink wrap and solder, looks professional, but is a noisy as heck.... It's supposedly good quality but I now assume it's made for balanced lines with lower impedance or something like that. Just my 2 cents.

Before you buy bulk, I suggest you try out a smaller order. I've used Mogami cable(a good brand, depends on what application) just to find that it was noisy and hard to work with on my amps, then I asked for help here on MEF and was taught about Belden cables...
              Valvulados

Comment

Thanks jmaf, and yes, that's precisely my concern (i.e., making a big mistake). I too have had 'less-than-ideal' experience with Mogami brand on occasion, despite selling at a premium price. In fact, I paid $100 each once for a pair of 8-foot premium guitar (instrument) cables, and one of them was bad right out of the box, so I don't think I'll go that route this time. Actually, the product I've been considering is GLS-brand bulk microphone cable (see link below)"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HFAV7M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=AD6O342M484G6

However, the more I read and learn, the more I think this too might be a mistake in the sense that "shielded" microphone cable is apparently not what I need, and yet, bulk "instrument" cable cannot be found anywhere. Thus, I'll admit to being more and more confused every minute.

Comment

I think you'll find some resources here: Build Your Own Clone Message Board • View topic - How To: Build your own cables!
                  -Mike

Comment

I'd give this one a try, just a few feet, see if it's what you need: AES - Parts Catalog

If it works, you know 20 AWG Belden (it's mispelled there) is what you need, you can buy in bulk from Mouser.com
                    Valvulados

Comment

Part of what gets something labelled as "microphone cable" is the composition of the insulation, and the way the shielding is configured. "Signal" can be routed in a physically stable way, while someone wielding a voice mic (at least in the pre-wireless days) could be moving about and placing a lot of stress on the cable. It had to be easily coiled, turn corners easily, hold up well to twisting, and so on. So "microphone" cable will usually have a more soft rubbery outer insulation. As well, the shielding will be more lkely to be in a spiral configuration, rather than a braided mesh or foil.

Of course, now that we all prance around with wireless mics, the idea of what cables from mics have to be able to handle is kind of foreign to many...sort of like phrases such as "flip side" or "skipping record".

Comment

If there is a pro-audio dealer or rental house near you they may be the best place to get shorter lengths of cable in bulk. I know when I worked at one we always had spools of rubber-jacketed microphone and instrument cable as well as PVC (less flexible but better at sharp bends) jacketed versions for the myriad of custom solutions we had to come with for installations & performances. And we did sell it by the foot, along with bulk jacks & plugs.

In my experience Rapco/Horizon and Whirlwind cable is great, Belden is top-notch too, Mogami isn't all that reliable, and I would stay completely away from Monster & similar brands. As for the plugs you just can't beat Switchcraft in my opinion: 280's for straight, 226's for right-angle.

For the actual cord connecting the guitar to the pedalboard I actually prefer a quality wireless for shock safety and freedom of movement, but if forced to use a cord my absolute favorite is the Whirlwind "Leader" series with the nice long rubbery strain relief boots on the plugs.

Just my $.02...

Comment

Bingo!!! That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for - so many-many thanx, Defaced! I must have searched 150 different keywords from "pedalboard cables" to " TS patch cables" to whatever, but I never encountered a reference to the thread you provided here or anything like it. That's awesome! Its got everything I need, right down to the supplier and the specific part numbers including the wire. I'm good-to-go! Thanks again.

Comment

Glad that could help you. That forum is a great place for people to get their feet wet in building pedals, so you'll find alot of things that usually get glanced over on other forums explained very well there.
                            -Mike

Comment

The most important point,

Re-assemble the connector and you're done! REMEMBER!!! (can't stress this enough) that when you go to do the 2nd connector you have to slide the "boot" on first.
                              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                              X