New tube-driven stand-alone Vibrato unit build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tube-driven stand-alone Vibrato unit build

Just finished wiring it 10 minutes ago. Haven't fired it up yet (so excited I had to blog first 8-)

Its a 'pitch-shifting' vibrato unit that utilises a hammond saturable reactor (one of my state-side buddies sent me a couple a while back) and 2 x 12AU7, 2 x 12AX7 and a 12DW7. Designed to be plugged in front of a geetar amp (like a stand alone reverb). Its got 4 phase/pitch/harmonic controls, a feedback control output level/CF bypass and the trem oscillator controls. There is a switch on the front stage that bypasses the vibrato section to make the unit function as a tube booster. The output level is a dual-gang pot that turns up the recovery stage whilst mixing out the CF bypass or vice-versa. See schematic (pdf file)

Found a nice bit of scandinavian pine for the front of the box.

Hopefully there isn't too much troubleshooting ahead and I can get some soundbytes up soon

I used a spare 2nd-hand chassis I had lying around otherwise everything is hand-made (incl the PT)
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

That's pretty cool I've seen the Hammond preamp unit with the saturable reactors on EBay, and wondered whether it might make a good guitar vibrato. Now we're going to find out!

Hammond had an extraordinary approach to design, they would never use any other component if they could make a transformer do the job.

BTW, your rendition of the Shadows' "Man Of Mystery" appeared on my iTunes shuffle the other day. Now you must record it again with the vibrato.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I am officially impressed.... "very nice job"........

-g

Comment

a few soundbytes

Did some very rough sounds earlier this avo into garbageband not properly mic'd (mac built-in mic) and didn't get time to run through all the sounds, will try and find time later in the week. Guitar is a strat. Other amp is my PR clone. Please excuse the shoddy playing
        Attached Files

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Posting just to keep this thread in my "settings" file I want to follow along.

P.S. It would be cool if we could tag threads just to follow them without the need to have a post involved... Tboy? I know this is more about the host than the administrator, but they sure wouldn't listen to me!?!
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Nice job Tubeswell! Are these Hammond reactors available for a reasonable price, or are they unobtanium? Like I need another project....

Comment

Try searching for 'Hammond AO-47' every so often

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                ... It would be cool if we could tag threads just to follow them without the need to have a post involved...
                That feature is available Chuck. Look for "Thread Tools" in the bar just above the first post in a given thread, select "Subscribe to this thread..." from the drop down menu & follow the instructions.
                Cheers,
                Tom

Comment

Marvellous!!

A very cool project.

I love vib/trem, and also eccentric valve-based designs, and this fulfils both criterion.

Comment

Finally took the time to do a few 'proper' tracks with the 'viberater'

All recorded through this (scratch-built) rig

Click image for larger version

Name:	400862_290206577693576_100001127081568_769441_168654908_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	824086

(Main amp is a PP 6V6 ~22Wer with Merlin's EF86 morph control idea/feature in the pre, and Weber sig 12S and a Greenback G12M in the extn cab, and a 6G15 clone (covered in gingham) and the vibrato unit (stained pine).

Recorded with both cabs mic'd with SM57s through my desk and into garbageband. Me accompanying myself on my JM.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tubeswell; 01-29-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

More Tubeswell tunes on my iPod!!

Comment

Ha ha! Nice one.

Comment

As a wee follow-up to this, I have found that it works even better if the input stage is reaaaalllly low gain (like 5 or so). This seems to stop any stray oscillation (which I was getting before) and the knobs work all the way around the dial too. (And the vibrato is therefore able to be tuned to be richer and fuller too.) FWIW
                          Last edited by tubeswell; 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Can't listen here at work but will be in the morning!

Looks nice, which is always important

I remember you Tubeswell. You were always very polite and helpful with the greenhorns like me Thanks for that!
                            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Sounds really nice. That tremolo is really cool sounding.

Comment

Working...
                              X