Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to replace the speakers in my fender ultra chorus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to replace the speakers in my fender ultra chorus...

I have a Fender Ultra Chorus (2-12 Combo) that I rather like, but it sounds a bit thin. I also have a Peavy Stereo Chorus 2-12 that is not very functional but has some practically new Scorpions that sound mighty fine.

My question is can I safely replace my stock Fender speakers with these Scorpions? I don't know a lot about these kinds of things, so I would like advice from someone who does. I can't afford to replace my Fender with a better amp or get the peavy repaired, so this is where I am. Thanks!

Well, two things you need to find out.

First of all, are the replacement speakers the right impedance aka "Ohmage"? I think the Scorpions should be 4 ohm, so you need to check if that is the case, and if the Fender is rated to drive 4 ohm speakers. (normally it says on the rear panel somewhere)

Second, do they physically fit, are the mounting holes in the same places? I can never tell just by looking, I always have to just try fitting the new speakers and see. You can always drill new screw holes, but if a front loading speaker refuses to fit through the big hole in the baffle, that is a whole other nightmare.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

If you can find the part number on the Scorpion speakers: it would be either S-12425 or S-12825. That third number, the 4 or the 8, is the nominal speaker impedance.

I do not think the Ultra Chorus (which was renamed to the Ultimate Chorus) can handle 4 ohm speakers. The Ultra/Ultimate and its little brother the Princeton Chorus had the speakers hard-wired, no speaker jacks.

Comment

Oh, incidentally, before swapping speakers, make sure the existing speakers have been connected in phase. If they are out of phase they will sound tinny. So if the white wire on one speaker is going to the + and the black wire to the -, make sure it is connected the same way on the other speaker.

Comment

The Scorpions are much flatter , PA type.
          In fact they are used in PA cabinets, with a horn added, with excellent results.
          In a way they are a "mini EVM 12L", including non ribbed curvilinear cone, large edgewound aluminum ribbon coil and such.
          Excellent speakers, but you may like the end result, or not.
          IŽd wire a couple meter cable from your Fender chassis into the Peavey "cabinet" (straight into the speakers) , before committing yourself to the "moving experience".
          If all is well, then start digging your carpentry tools out.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Recently a kid brought me a Fender UC to fix. He also brought with it 2 brand new Eminence speaker that he assumed would fix the problem. I resoldered the main filter caps and gave the amp back to him. The speakers were not the problem. Someone told him it needed new speakers. It really isn't a bad sounding amp for what it is. I'm not sure upgrading speakers will get you much more out of it. It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
            X