Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a P90 pickup for a flat cover and S/P switching

Hello, gents,

two questions from me, the first one because I'm unsure whether it's a good idea, the second because I want to reassure myself about something. Suppose you had a pair of decent P-90 RWRP pickups that have standard polepieces and a single-conductor-single-shield lead, and you wanted to fit it to a closed-top cover (purely for aesthetic purposes) and wire it so you could run them in series/parallel.

1) Is it possible to swap the screw polepieces with something with a flat (or flatter) top, so the top of the bobbin would be pressed against the inside of the cover? Would the fact the polepiece is no longer a screwhead with 50% bigger diameter than the screw itself seriously affect the tone? Ultimately, is it just a better idea to drill the holes into the cover (it's a no-hole dog-ear) and mount the pickup the standard way?

2) I've had to uncover the bridge pickup to transplant it into the dog-ear cover, and I noticed that, while outside the pickup has two leads (white signal and bare ground), internally the pickups have three (white start, black end and bare ground soldered to the baseplate). Would I just need to split the black and bare the pickup wires at the baseplate on both pickups to be able to run them in series/parallel?
    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
    Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    1) Is it possible to swap the screw polepieces with something with a flat (or flatter) top, so the top of the bobbin would be pressed against the inside of the cover? Would the fact the polepiece is no longer a screwhead with 50% bigger diameter than the screw itself seriously affect the tone? Ultimately, is it just a better idea to drill the holes into the cover (it's a no-hole dog-ear) and mount the pickup the standard way?
    That shouldn't be a problem. I make a lot of pickups with no exposed poles and they work fine.

2) I've had to uncover the bridge pickup to transplant it into the dog-ear cover, and I noticed that, while outside the pickup has two leads (white signal and bare ground), internally the pickups have three (white start, black end and bare ground soldered to the baseplate). Would I just need to split the black and bare the pickup wires at the baseplate on both pickups to be able to run them in series/parallel?
    Yes, separate the ground from the pickup's common lead. You can get three conductor cable so that the two leads from the coil are not part of the ground.

This is the type of wire you want:

AWG 28-Ga 2-Conductor Shielded Guitar Pickup Wire
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

On some P90s you can lower the screws enough to get a solid cover in place. Iv not, just grind the top part of the screw down.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Yes, separate the ground from the pickup's common lead. You can get three conductor cable so that the two leads from the coil are not part of the ground.
        This is the type of wire you want:
        AWG 28-Ga 2-Conductor Shielded Guitar Pickup Wire
        Right-o, time to make a shopping list.

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
        On some P90s you can lower the screws enough to get a solid cover in place. Iv not, just grind the top part of the screw down.
        Thanks, I'll check the bobbins themselves and see if it can be done, if not, time to hit the nearest key-maker since they usually have a grinder.
        Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
        Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Working...
        X