Dragonfire vs Entwistle Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonfire vs Entwistle Pickups?

Hello all! I have a Dean Vendetta XMT and I am going to upgrade the standard hums on that bad boy. I really don't want to spend so much on them that I can't buy an amp. Thinking Fender Frontman 25r. Anyways, I have stumbled on Dragonforce Screamers and Entwistle Nemesis. I want a crisp sound when clean (preferrably in the neck) and a very distorted sound in the bridge. Both of these run around the $25-$30 range. What I want to know is if either brand is good for metalcore/post-hardcore play? What is you best opinion of my best option? Or should I just get the GFS Chrunchy or Power Rails set? Thanks for any help guys!

Dragonfire Screamers: Dragonfire Guitars

Entwistle Nemesis: Entwistle Nemesis Humbucker Single Rail & Hex Screw "CR" Pickup (Ceramic Bar)

Originally posted by ephman View Post
    Hello all! I have a Dean Vendetta XMT and I am going to upgrade the standard hums on that bad boy. I really don't want to spend so much on them that I can't buy an amp. Thinking Fender Frontman 25r. Anyways, I have stumbled on Dragonforce Screamers and Entwistle Nemesis. I want a crisp sound when clean (preferrably in the neck) and a very distorted sound in the bridge. Both of these run around the $25-$30 range. What I want to know is if either brand is good for metalcore/post-hardcore play? What is you best opinion of my best option? Or should I just get the GFS Chrunchy or Power Rails set? Thanks for any help guys!

Dragonfire Screamers: Dragonfire Guitars

Entwistle Nemesis: Entwistle Nemesis Humbucker Single Rail & Hex Screw "CR" Pickup (Ceramic Bar)
    This is the Pickup Makers Forum, and Most of us do Just that.
    We Make Pickups.
    Speaking Strictly for myself, I don't know anything about Cheap Import Pickups.
    You may want to try some of the Forums for Import Guitars and Parts.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you I will try that. I just thought that with this being a pickup makers forum maybe someone would know. Anyways, Thank you for the advice.

Comment

For Commercial Made Pickups, I would Look at Seymour Duncans.
        They are made in the US and they are good Pickups for the Price.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by ephman View Post
          this being a pickup makers forum maybe someone would know.
          Yes, we know enough not to recommend any cheap asian stuff.

Don't get any p'up until you've saved enough to get something that's good enough.

Second-hand Duncans are the best you can get for your money.

Get a Mustang amp. The Frontmans are nothing to write home about.

You must be very young, am I right?
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            Yes, we know enough not to recommend any cheap asian stuff.

Don't get any p'up until you've saved enough to get something that's good enough.

Second-hand Duncans are the best you can get for your money.

Get a Mustang amp. The Frontmans are nothing to write home about.

You must be very young, am I right?
            There is For Sure Nothing wrong with the Young Part.
            I would take some of that!
            T
            Terry

Comment

Another perspective on this: nowadays I would be very slow to give up on stock pickups in favor of other cheapies. I give lessons out of a music store and I just pull a guitar off the wall to use in the lessons; it's been a while since I picked up a current production guitar with pickups I would describe as an unqualified bad. Something happened in Asia to allow a clue to enter the guitar factories. Some of the Epiphone pickups I would rate at Good Minus. Fender has some Good pickups on inexpensive guitars.

And to harmonize with what others have written, take this quote from a 1920's Gibson sales brochure: "Buy your second guitar first!" Meaning you're going to spend the money on what you really need to be satisfied; spending money in advance of that is not too thrifty, even though it might seem like it in the short run. Try lots of friends' and stores' guitars and find a pickup in a similar sounding guitar that really turns you on, then shop like mad for that.

Looking at what you can get with cash on hand is short-sighted. Write out your budget stretching further into the future - e.g. a year - and figure out what's a sensible amount to spend on each part of your rig and spend that amount. Guitar stuff is totally inexpensive in the spectrum of musical instruments; you can figure out how to get what you want if you do some head scratching, (yes, even if you are very young).

And apropos of the forum purpose/topic: let me be the first to invite you into the wonderful world of winding your own pickups. It takes more ingenuity than money to get started; and when you get good at it, you can cover your expenses by selling custom pickups to your friends and their friends. Look at this forum to get an idea of how people have made their winders. Tools and Coil Winding Gear

BTW out of curiosity I Googled "Dragonfire Pickups" and found this. Sounds good if you like the EMG sound.

Comment

I second that strongly. 90% of your sound is in your setup (strings and action) and your fingers (pick style, plucking, fingerpicking, snapping, hammer-ons and offs, etc). Maybe 10% is in your gear. It took me years to realize this.
                making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Well, being a big fan of the Seymour Duncan JB pickup over many years since the mid 80's I have tried to find something as good or better.

Suprisingly I have found a pickup that is right in the ballpark of the SD JB. its the GFS crunchy rails humbucker. The crunchy rails actually sound about as good as a Dimarzio tone zone thru my rig. Also the Dragonforce rails pup in the single coil size sound darn good too for a ceramic pickup. they actually have alot of gain and bottom end too.

my two cents worth.

Main Gear,
                  Modified Strat thru a Boss ME-50 into a 1967 Fender modified Fender bandmaster head into a 1x12 closed back cab with a Eminence Cannibus Rex.

Comment

Working...
                  X