Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscilliscope operation

Hello,
    Is there a web site that would explain to me how to check pickups, and whatever else that pertains to guitar repair. The manual is going to be almost impossible to obtain, even obtaining it would probably not help much other than explaining the controls.
    It is a RCA Dual Mode Oscilloscope-Model WO-535A. I received several kinds of probes and stuff with it. Thank You in advance for any information!

Try a search for Oscilloscope applications / operation or for books with titles such as how to use audio test equipment or 101 uses for your oscilloscope. That approach should allow you to find literature on how to get things done with the O-scope rather than just a dry explanation of what each control does.

Additionally post #8 in the previous thread at http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27554/ still applies. Did you check out the YouTube videos?
    “The scope you have is a basic piece of equipment that is very similar to many other basic models. You can probably learn what you need to know from on line tutorials and publications. My point is that you don't really need to have a copy of the exact operator's manual for your scope model. If you do a YouTube search for "oscilloscope" you will get lots of hits like Oscilloscope tutorial part one - YouTube

Comment

Google "tektronix xyz oscilloscope". That will help with basic operation of the scope.
      -Mike

Comment

Hook up the + & - probes to something.
        An radio speaker, anything.
        Turn the Vertical & Horizontal knobs (that is about all you will use) & have fun.

Comment

Hello,
          I have been on lots of web sites today. Now I need to trouble all of you with another question. Am I going to need a Sine Wave Generator just to analyze guitar and amplifier systems? Thank you in advance. Hate to be such a PITA!!!

Comment

Guitar systems, no, they have a built-in signal generator activated by twanging the strings. Amplifier systems, kinda.

A signal generator should be easy enough to find. The old HP 200 type, and their Heathkit equivalents, should be easy enough to pick up for a few tens of bucks. There is even a signal generator app for iPhone and so on. But be warned test equipment is a slippery slope. Once you have your signal generator you may find yourself wanting a dummy load, a variac, a nice Fluke meter, and so on ad infinitum.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

There are alot of DIY solutions to signal generators too. I did this recently and it's been a big help and a pretty nice simple generator:
              Schem thread: Mini DIY signal generator

Build thread: Build Your Own Clone Message Board • View topic - WTF, G?
              -Mike

Comment

I think you ought to plan on a signal generator, if for no other reason than to test out the scope and probes. For pickup work, it is important that the measurement system (scope and probe) be flat over the audio band. Be sure to test the probe compensation (usually adjusted with a 1 khz square wave, maybe available from the scope). That adjusts the probe's frequency and pulse response, and does affect the audio band significantly. A damaged or uncompensated probe can make all your measurements worthless or unrepeatable. Usually, a probe is used to increase the input impedance from 1megohm/20pf to 10megohm/10pf. You may find that the scope input impedance itself is plenty high enough (probably 1megohm/20-25pf for that old unit) for using with pickups. That does eliminate a source of error and unrepeatablity. However, pickup response is strongly affected by capacitive loading, so always use the same wiring setup to attach to the pickup.
                making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Working...
                X