Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
    Thanks for the info Robbie,

I was trying to build a set of the fret jaws but after trying one pair it seems a bit more work than I thought. I did build a fret press that works well with bolt on necks but the fret jaws seem better to use. It would be nice if they didn't cost so much.

Cheers
    Which arbor press did you use? I'm looking at the Grizzly 1/2-ton. I haven't seen one up close and I'm wondering how the caul is attached to the bottom of the plunger. Did you make the caul too? Do you have any photos?

Comment

The one below at Harbor Freight, it was on sale for $27.99 at the time.

1/2 Ton Arbor Press

I cannot remember the size drill bit I used to drill the hole for the caul, i think it was 3/8 maybe, then I drilled a hole on the side for the small allen screw to hold in the fret caul, i think it was a 6/32 if I remember right. It works great. Look at the URL below to see it.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27645/

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieC View Post
        Which arbor press did you use? I'm looking at the Grizzly 1/2-ton. I haven't seen one up close and I'm wondering how the caul is attached to the bottom of the plunger. Did you make the caul too? Do you have any photos?

I used the Grizzly 1/2-ton (about $50) but had to spend $30 for a machine shop to drill the 3/8" hole plus set screw for the Stew Mac caul. In the end, I should have just ordered the Stew Mac arbor press as I didn't save any money and still lack the table, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieC View Post
          I used the Grizzly 1/2-ton (about $50) but had to spend $30 for a machine shop to drill the 3/8" hole plus set screw for the Stew Mac caul. In the end, I should have just ordered the Stew Mac arbor press as I didn't save any money and still lack the table, etc.
          Hey Robbie,

I haven't used mine in a while but about to refret an old 1990 Charvel neck soon and will use it again. If I had the money to spare I probably would have gotten the fret jaws to do this.

Heck, $80.00 is still a ok price for a good press. All you need know is the caul with the inserts and your ready to refret...

Comment

Working...
          X