Super reverb baffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super reverb baffle

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! As you know I have been working on my super reverb for a while now, and I am getting to the cabinet/speaker point now. There is someone on a steel guitar forum selling a super reverb cab but it does not have a baffle and I have already made plans to purchase it but I am conflicted on a baffle. I have been playing through my 2x12 bassman cab and it sounds really awesome so I have just a few questions. First of all, I really cant justify $90 for a baffle? Its a board with cloth on it! I know I could easily build the baffle but heres where I run into problems. Is there any good ways to stretch the grill cloth or should I not even bother? Also, could I just screw the speakers in or do I need threaded screws with a bolt type thing built into the baffle? Also, if I decide to go with the traditional 10 inch speakers ( I am considering doing a 2x10 baffle) are there speakers out there that are not harsh and super bright? The only 10's I have heard recently have been the reissue jensens, and they are ear piercing. Hope everyone had a great holiday!
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

The baffle is usually mounted with screws through the front of the baffle into rails mounted in the cabinet. The grill is traditionally mounted to the baffle with longer screws that that run through the cabinet rails and baffle into the grill from the back. I like to mount the grill with with velcro instead.

If cabinet plans can't be found for free on line I know you can buy them for a reasonable price just by searching.

Stretching the grill cloth isn't hard. It's stapled to the back of the grill and you just do one staple at a time. First you put a staple in the middle of one edge, lightly stretch and put a staple in the other side. Then lightly stretch the grill on the other two sides so any patterning is straight and level and put one staple in the middle of each other edge. Then work your way out from the center staples one edge at a time alternating left/right of the starting staples, applying light tension and checking often for straightness. You probably won't get it perfect the first time you do it. But you'll be familiar with the physical properties of the materials by the end and your next one will be better. So maybe buy enough grill cloth to do it twice if your picky.

If your worried about harsh speakers Eminence has two good offerings. The L1028k is fabulous but spendy. The L1058 is very good but a little dark for some. Perfect for bright amps. I don't like most Eminence 12's and I use Celestions. But I do like these two 10" offerings. I would use the L1028k every time if it were less expensive. But as alnico speakers go it's not as expensive as most.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 12-26-2011, 02:12 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
      ...Also, could I just screw the speakers in or do I need threaded screws with a bolt type thing built into the baffle
      It's not good to mount the speakers with wood screws as they will keep loosening and the would screw holes will eventually strip out. Use the Fender threaded screw method or 'T' nuts.

Also note that unless you want to make the baffel as a learning experience and you plan on building more baffles in the future then you may want to reconsider buying one. The individual steps of the process are not difficult so you are of course free to learn. However, considering all the steps involved, $90 is a fair deal for a finished ready to use SR baffle with grill cloth mounted. Just sayn'

Tom
      Last edited by Tom Phillips; 12-26-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

+1, and...

I think I misread part of the Q. Tnuts are the way to go, and... The first grill cloth I ever did was a little crooked and developed a minor loose spot. It wasn't bad enough to re do it but it was "my" amp. I'd never expect a customer to accept it since even cheap amps have straight, tight grill cloth. You're likely to spend almost as much making a baffle and grill cloth as you are buying them.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X