Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pole-piece spacing on Gibson mini-humbuckers for bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole-piece spacing on Gibson mini-humbuckers for bass?

Does anyone know what it is?

Attached Files

Just measured all 4 pickups on my EB3 and my EB2d and my eyes at this time of night show 49.02mm centres for the outer poles on all 4 pickups, no change between bridge and neck which gives a 16.34mm pole centres.

Comment

49.00 mm

Comment

Thanks!

Can't really use one in the bridge position, then, on a bass with the standard 19mm string spacing at the bridge. Darn.

I guess the 34"-scale Epiphone EB-3 basses have maybe a 17mm string spacing at the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
          Thanks!

Can't really use one in the bridge position, then, on a bass with the standard 19mm string spacing at the bridge. Darn.

I guess the 34"-scale Epiphone EB-3 basses have maybe a 17mm string spacing at the bridge?
          Don't know much about basses, but could you use the firebird type with the no holes cover.
          Mojotone Nickel Silver Mini Humbucker Pickup Cover Chrome (NO HOLES)
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

FWIW the Epiphone bass mini is a 49 mm spacing. The Epiphone EBO Bass neck pickup is 48 mm. I have an old made in Japan bass mini humbucker that I got from Allparts about 5 years ago. It has a 50 mm spacing but the cover isn't nickel, but a metallic looking plastic

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Don't know much about basses, but could you use the firebird type with the no holes cover.
              Mojotone Nickel Silver Mini Humbucker Pickup Cover Chrome (NO HOLES)
              T
              That's what I do for EB-3 bridge pickups. I make them with blades on the inside.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                That's what I do for EB-3 bridge pickups. I make them with blades on the inside.
                So it is the same size pickup as a guitar firebird Mini?
                You use steel blades in the bobbins and NEO Magnets between the blades?
                Or I guess you could use the regular Firebird Magnets in the bobbins.
                I never get much bass work, an occasional P-Bass or J-Bass Rewind.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

For a Firebird type design you could use any sort of magnet assembly that floats your boat depending on how strong you wanted the field and how much inductance you wanted in the pickup.
                  1. Two alnico bar magnets with a bottom coupling plate (like an original FB), or two ceramic bars like modern Gibson FBs.
                  2. One Alnico bar and a soft iron bar coupled.
                  3. two iron bars with a bottom loaded Alnico bar.
                  4. two iron bars with a bottom loaded ceramic bar.
                  5 other typed of magnets could be used but Alnico or ceramic bars are really convenient in a FB design.
                  6. You could use half length iron bars and a bottom loaded bar magnet for a "split 3 and 3" pole assembly, sort of like the Duncan Vintage Rails.

Budget FB style pickups are available for under $30 if you're feeling lazy, or want a cover, baseplate, bobbins, and magnets that you can fool around with.
                  Also- regarding size, The vintage bass and Firebird/Deluxe/Johnny Smith pickups are all the same length and width, approximately 65mm by 27mm. The modern Gibson and Epiphone minis have slightly larger covers, approximately 68mm by 28mm. The budget ones I've seen have had the larger cover dimensions.
                  Last edited by Sweetfinger; 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                    For a Firebird type design you could use any sort of magnet assembly that floats your boat depending on how strong you wanted the field and how much inductance you wanted in the pickup.
                    1. Two alnico bar magnets with a bottom coupling plate (like an original FB), or two ceramic bars like modern Gibson FBs.
                    2. One Alnico bar and a soft iron bar coupled.
                    3. two iron bars with a bottom loaded Alnico bar.
                    4. two iron bars with a bottom loaded ceramic bar.
                    5 other typed of magnets could be used but Alnico or ceramic bars are really convenient in a FB design.
                    6. You could use half length iron bars and a bottom loaded bar magnet for a "split 3 and 3" pole assembly, sort of like the Duncan Vintage Rails.

Budget FB style pickups are available for under $30 if you're feeling lazy, or want a cover, baseplate, bobbins, and magnets that you can fool around with.
                    I have made most of those.
                    I do guitar pickups, was trying to figure what DS did different that made it a bass Pickup.
                    Sounds like nothing.
                    Personally I prefer full sized Hum-Buckers, over the Minis.
                    Once we have Access to Mojo No Holes Nickel Full Sized Covers(At Discount Prices) there will be a lot more we can do with them.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      So it is the same size pickup as a guitar firebird Mini?
                      You use steel blades in the bobbins and NEO Magnets between the blades?
                      Or I guess you could use the regular Firebird Magnets in the bobbins.
                      I never get much bass work, an occasional P-Bass or J-Bass Rewind.
                      T
                      I use the mini humbucker bobbins, but I widen them a little. I use steel blades and neo magnets, because that's how my pickups are made.

You could certainly use the Firebird magnets, which would make it like a Thunderbird pickup.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X