Crock Pot Surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    What [does] the 1N5408 do to drop the temp in this circuit?
    This is a rectifier diode, so it blocks every other half-cycle of the AC sinewave. This cuts the power in half.

Comment

OK, so the Mini Crock pot is not usable for me, to pot pickups. It gets the wax so hot that it deformed an ABS bobbin so badly that I can't use it.

I'm going to have to go back to my leaky paraffin warmer unless I can knock the temperature down.

Oh well, at least it was cheap.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        OK, so the Mini Crock pot is not usable for me, to pot pickups. It gets the wax so hot that it deformed an ABS bobbin so badly that I can't use it.

I'm going to have to go back to my leaky paraffin warmer unless I can knock the temperature down.

Oh well, at least it was cheap.
        Make the 100Watt dim bulb tester, it takes about 30 minutes and a few bucks.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Make the 100Watt dim bulb tester, it takes about 30 minutes and a few bucks.
          T
          Well I'm getting ready to move, so maybe after the move.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Well I'm getting ready to move, so maybe after the move.
            Hope the new place comes with a shop building?
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Hope the new place comes with a shop building?
              T
              No, it will be smaller than where I live now, but there will be less people there then here, if you know what I mean.

So I will have more room a better winding setup at least.

Comment

Here's a Pic of my 2 bulb tester.
                Not too pretty, I made it from scraps.
                I made it for amp work, but I'm finding it has many uses.
                T
                Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010022.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	648.8 KB
ID:	824561
                Terry

Comment

Here's a Pic of my 2 bulb tester.
                  Kewl! I was expecting something made out of those ancient porcelain closet light sockets.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

How come no one has opened up the thermostat on the crock pot yet? It's probably a bi metal thingy. If so you could probably bend, test, repeat until it holds the wax at the correct temperature.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Don't have time!
                      Too busy trying to get pickups made to put in the Crock Pot!
                      I thought about getting another one to work on, til I got it right.
                      Then I could work on the first one.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

You may use one of those $2 bimetallic temp sensors usually attached to heatsinks.
                        Maybe you even needn't *buy* one, but cannibalize one from a dead amp.
                        You bolt it to the bottom or side of your crockpot , your choice, waterproof the screw holes with some silicone rubber and, of course, do not forget to insulate the 120V carrying terminals.
                        You may even wire a neon lamp across the thermal switch legs to show its operation.
                        They usually trip around 75ºC , do the math.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Wouldn't a harbor freight router speed control ($9.99) keep a lid on a crock pot.
                          Someone needs to bite the bullet and hook up a PID controller PID controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (about $20) and take care of this problem in the most elegant way possible.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                            Wouldn't a harbor freight router speed control ($9.99) keep a lid on a crock pot.
                            Someone needs to bite the bullet and hook up a PID controller PID controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (about $20) and take care of this problem in the most elegant way possible.
                            "PID Controller"
                            I read about it, and am still Wondering, "What to Hell is It"???
                            My crock pot, only cost a couple bucks on sale.
                            Hate to have to hook a Nuclear Reactor to it to control it!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Weeellll, it might actually *be* hooked up to a Nuclear Power Reactor, for all I know.
                              Although maybe through a 2000 mile power line, of course.
                              Unfortunately, the only abbundant power source left, for now, is Nuclear.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Dimmer control of crockpots

A crockpot with a hi-lo-off switch or a non-electronic bimetal controller can be controlled with an ordinary lamp dimmer. A large crockpot uses about 300 watts, half what the typical wall-mount lamp dimmer can handle.

If the crockpot has any electronics, no go. Unless you eviscerate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X