Crock Pot Surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crock Pot Surgery!

I Got a small Crock Pot a Couple of Months Ago.
    It is the perfect size for a wax pot.
    The problem is it get too hot on both Low and Hi settings.
    So to use it for a wax pot I have to put a thermometer in it, and turn it on and off all the time to keep it under 160 Degrees.
    I haven't tore into it yet.
    Does anyone know how they work and how the Temp is cycled?
    Is there anything I Can Do to Change it?
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Hook it up to a "lamp limiter:
    That will bring down the lowest setting.

Comment

HELLO,
      I was thinking a rheostat. You could set that to 0- to the setting you are looking for. Set some reference points and you could have the perfect setting every time!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Hook it up to a "lamp limiter:
        That will bring down the lowest setting.
        I hate to sound dumb, but how does a lamp limiter work?
        T
        Edit Note**
        I searched it, and it appears to be the same circuit as a dim bulb tester.
        So if I run it through a 100 watt light bulb that would drop the voltage and Temp I guess?
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

PID temp controllers are REALLY cheap now, there are good dual display RTD/thermocouple units for $15 on ebay and even adding a big relay and probe pushes it to maybe $40,
          Dual Digital F/C PID Temperature Controller Control weather devices | eBay

never understood why $500+ stoves have a crappy $2 bimetallic +/-20C thermostats...

Comment

Update.
            I turned the pot on today and ran it on high until the wax was Melted.
            Then I plugged it into the Dim Bulb Tester.
            On the low setting, it kept the wax at a Perfect 140F Degrees.
            Thanks Guys,
            Terry
            Terry

Comment

Terry,

Did you use a 100 watt bulb or a different wattage and was it a true Dim Bulb Tester circuit?

Jim
              =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                Terry,

Did you use a 100 watt bulb or a different wattage and was it a true Dim Bulb Tester circuit?

Jim
                Actually it was a 60 Watt, and a 40 Watt bulb together?
                I Think We can still use 100 Watt Bulbs Here if we choose to?
                This is one I built for Initial firing up Project Amplifiers, it can use 2 bulbs.
                Terry
                Terry

Comment

Terry,

I assume you ran the two bulbs in series on the positive side of the circuit. Is this correct? What is the benefit of using two bulbs instead of one?

Jim
                  =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Mine is made like this.
                    It has the switch like below also.
                    I used a 2 Bulb lite fixture, so you could do different combos.
                    I can do 1 40 Watt, or 2x40, or 2x60 up to 2x100Watt depending on the load required.
                    A very handy device and I made mine from the Scrap pile.
                    Terry
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DimbulbSketch.gif
Views:	3
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	823802
                    Edit Note**
                    My 2 Bulb model is wired in Series like the attachment except.
                    The 2 Bulbs are wired in parallel together.
                    That way you can use either first, or Second Bulb independently.
                    Or both bulbs together.
                    Really works Slick!
                    Last edited by big_teee; 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

Love the drawing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        Love the drawing!

Me too. I'd actually have that on a T-shirt.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I Got a small Crock Pot a Couple of Months Ago.
                          It is the perfect size for a wax pot.
                          The problem is it get too hot on both Low and Hi settings.
                          So to use it for a wax pot I have to put a thermometer in it, and turn it on and off all the time to keep it under 160 Degrees.
                          I haven't tore into it yet.
                          Does anyone know how they work and how the Temp is cycled?
                          Is there anything I Can Do to Change it?
                          Terry
                          I have a crock pot with 3 settings high /low & warm ,the warm setting keeps the wax in the 150 to 160 range which works good if remember no to leave it on high when i first plug it in
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                            I have a crock pot with 3 settings high /low & warm ,the warm setting keeps the wax in the 150 to 160 range which works good if remember no to leave it on high when i first plug it in
                            I guess the Warm setting is what is missing on mine.
                            I may try to tear into it and see if there might be something I can add internally.
                            Terry
                            Terry

Comment

Older units had resistors. Some newer ones use a bi-metal thermal trigger that's near impossible to modify accurately.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X