resistor size, does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resistor size, does it matter?

I ordered some components online, and I received them and thought they made a mistake with the wattage of a couple of resistor values.
    I found that a couple of values (470 ohm and 100K) metal film resistors had the size of the "older" but still new 1/4 watt resistors instead of the 1W I ordered. They are Phoenix passive components brand, made in Brazil.

Then I checked the the data .pdf and they indeed are rated 1 watt, but they are really tiny. A "normal" metal film 1/2 watter is about 2.5 to 3 times bigger!

I am scared about placing a 1W 100K dropping resistor or plate load resistor in the B+ that is just a little bigger than a 1N4148 diode!

Any experience with these?

the voltage rating can be lower on the miniaturized ones, so you might want to check the datasheet to be sure (in case it matters).

Comment

dai,
      well, 350V DC or RMS. The only difference size appart is the temperature rating which seems lower compared with some of the bigger ones. At 70º it still holds its resistance, but drops to zero at 150º (that's grades centigrades)

I will keep them just for plate loads.

Comment

Working...
      X