Thinking about building a 5F1 with 10" Weber Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about building a 5F1 with 10" Weber Speaker

Hi, I am looking to hear from anyone who has a Fender 5F1 Champ circuit with a 10" speaker.
    Do you have any sound clips of it? Any You Tube videos featuring it? I am thinking of building one.
    I have a 68 SFVC with an 8" Weber 8A125-0, and 5E3 Kit I built using an original Jensen C12N speaker.
    Probably will go with a Boot Hill amp 5E3 kit, and a Memphis Amps custom Champ cab built for a 10" speaker.

I am thinking I'd like something with a 10", plus I love the tweed sound. Any comments on the
    sound versus the 8" speaker. Also on a Weber speaker you'd recommend. Appreciated!

I've built lots of 5F1s and 5F2A type amps using a 10" speaker cabinet...
    The one you want it actually a 5F2A Princeton with a Harvard sized cabinet.
    I'd NEVER build another 3-5 watt amp with an 8" speaker and cabinet combo... too small and constricted.

I have no sound clips but any decent 10" speaker/cabinet combo will pretty much smoke the same chassis in a small 5F1 amp with a little 8" speaker.

Don't know about Boot Hill... other then I just looked.. it appears you supply your own cabinet, speaker and transformers. That seems odd to me.

oops..
    the Weber 10A125 sound very good.... an inexpensive reissue Jensen C10Q, after it has broken in, sounds good too and are low priced.
    If you have to supply you own transformers... make sure the OT you use is actually an 8 to 10 watt one.... not a toy 3-5 watt OT found in many crappy little SE 6V6 amps.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I'll Second the Jensen. Put a C10R in my Pro Jr, and sounds really good.

Comment

SE amps do sound good with 10" speakers. Heres a clip of an SE amp I did last year with a Celestion G10 greenback (UK made) - with a single 6L6 running at about 340V
        Attached Files
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I ordered a 5F2A cab this week from Memphis-Amps. It will be cut for a 10" speaker.
          I will be building the 5F2A circuit. Verdict is still out on a speaker but I am learning toward the 10A125 Weber.

Comment

I ended up getting a great deal on a very lightly used 10" Weber silver bell AlNiCo. That is a british voiced speaker. Should be interesting with the 5F2A build.
            Parts will start rolling over the next few weeks, looking forward to getting started.

Comment

I would say at least a 10" speaker, 12" if possible. i just bought a new VCXD hybrid (fake preamp amp), it came with an 8" Jensen.Sounded terrible, between the small cabinet size and speaker size, not a good sound.I shoved a 10" weber sig in there and it sounds very respectable now, the speaker cost $45.00.

Comment

I found a used 10" Weber silver bell 30W that I will try in there. I also got a good deal on a Weber 10" 10A100 15W. I'll try each one and pick the one I prefer.

Comment

I am close to wrapping up my 5F2A project. Now I just need to drill the cabinet and bolt in the chassis. I installed a multi tap output transformer for 4 or 8 ohms, and a negative feedback switch.
                  She's a grinder and I like how she sounds very much. Not much clean head room, but exactly what I was looking for. I wanted tweed tube crunch at lower volume, versus my 5E3 that I also enjoy very much. Right now I'm running a Weber 10A100 8 ohm 15W. PT is a Heyboer HY022772,
                  OT is a Allen T08C. All NOS tubes. RCA 5Y3, RCA 12AX7, GE 6V6GT. Here she is. A lovely little creature:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3586.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	825100

Name:	IMGP3589.JPG
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	825101

Name:	IMGP3588.JPG
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	825102

Comment

HA!

I laugh at you puny mortals and your ten inch speakers.

I run my home built 5F1 through a JBL D130. Tremble in fear as the heavens resound with it's roar.
                    Stop by my web page!

Comment

What amp doesn't sound good with a D130? I found one at pawn shop in an old Standel cabinet for $100. Score!
                      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Follow up with sound clip and photos

I got around to uploading some final photos and a sound clip of my version of a 5F2A. Amp has a negative feedback switch and a multi tap OT.
                        Weber 10A100 15W Speaker, Allen T08C OT, Heyboer PT, NOS Tubes. She's done and sounds good to me.

MP3 Player SoundClick

Name:	IMGP3619.JPG
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	825207

Name:	IMGP3625.JPG
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	825208

Name:	IMGP3633.JPG
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	825209
                        Last edited by keithb7; 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Sounds real nice there Keith!

(Looks real nice too)
                          Last edited by tubeswell; 06-17-2012, 01:30 AM.
                          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Sounds awesome!! Great job!
                            Stop by my web page!

Comment

Glad you took our advice and did it with the bigger Harvard sized cabinet with a 10"... classic tone there.
                              Bruce

Mission Amps
                              Denver, CO. 80022
                              www.missionamps.com
                              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                              X