No announcement yet.

Strat Blade Single Coil Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I thought the problem with these parts not fitting were taken care of .
    The half moon bobbins don't fit the strat baseplate & that hole is cut for the small .250" magnets ,Not the .300" wide magnets
    but actually If I use This bobbin Mojotone Blade Pickup Bobbin Black which looks quite cheap (I don't know if they were meant to be exposed ,there thin like a mini humbucker bobbin)
    & this magnet Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Ceramic 8 Bar Magnet (2.35L x .250W x .120T)
    everything fits without having to modify anything
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      The half moon bobbins don't fit the strat baseplate & that hole is cut for the small .250" magnets ,Not the .300" wide magnets
      but actually If I use This bobbin Mojotone Blade Pickup Bobbin Black which looks quite cheap (I don't know if they were meant to be exposed ,there thin like a mini humbucker bobbin)
      & this magnet Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Ceramic 8 Bar Magnet (2.35L x .250W x .120T)
      Sounds like you have some of the old parts.
      the last one I built everything fit.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

That's exactly what I did on this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2387.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	825758

I did chrome the tops of the rails using Caswell Copy Chrome brush plated on. I thought it sounded pretty nice too.
        www.sonnywalton.com
        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
          That's exactly what I did on this one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19679[/ATTACH]

I did chrome the tops of the rails using Caswell Copy Chrome brush plated on. I thought it sounded pretty nice too.
          Very Nice ...Sonny
          my half moon bobbins were wound ,I was filing the slot for a while ,Didn't want to go out to the shop ,so I used the tele base ,I like what I'm hearing

Comment

Out of a bag of 25 of the strat rail bobbins ,There was 2 that have the correct width of the slot to fit the rails & the magnets in the rest were all too small.....................( where's the darth vader death grip smiley ?) damn mojo

Comment

Out of a bag of 25 of the strat rail bobbins ,There was 2 that have the correct width of the slot to fit the rails & the magnets in the rest were all too small.....................( where's the darth vader death grip smiley ?) damn mojo
              Which bobbins, magnets, and which flatwork are you using?
              I use the half round bobbins, the big magnets, and the flatwork with the larger hole.
              I make the blades to fit the bobbins.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Which bobbins, magnets, and which flatwork are you using?
                I use the half round bobbins, the big magnets, and the flatwork with the larger hole.
                I make the blades to fit the bobbins.
                T
                It's the half round bobbins with the bigger magnets.
                Only thing is THE SLOT is made to fit the small magnet ,even though the bobbins are not
                they must of corrected this , I have 2 that will work without modification

Comment

It's the half round bobbins with the bigger magnets.
                  Only thing is THE SLOT is made to fit the small magnet ,even though the bobbins are not
                  they must of corrected this , I have 2 that will work without modification
                  That's how I started making the pickups with the half round bobbins, and bigger magnet.
                  I dremeled out the hole. Then Tom got us the correct flatwork.
                  Tell me more about the white bobbins.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

I just finished and tested the lastest set of Blades with a middle SC.
                    What is different about this set is the 44 SPN Overwound Bridge.
                    The Middle SC P/U is wound more to Texas Special Specs.
                    The neck I wound mildly with 42SPN.
                    All 3 Pickups match well together and give a lot of Tonal Combinations.
                    I think the Customer will like them.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post

I don't know what 43 would be on that. On the two blade pickups I have wound so far, I used 42. I have some notes on Joe Barden pickups. It list the bridge at 4.44k and the neck at 4.12k. It states that he used 43 gauge, and the approximate turns is 2,400 winds neck, and 2,475-2,500 winds bridge.
                      I'm playing around with the JB Tele specs (thanks David ) except I'm not winding the wire directly to the blades and I'm guessing that's probably a big part of the sound.

I didn't have time to finish the low wind JB Tele bridge tonight but I did build both an 8.5K Tele bridge and a 9k Strat bridge with 43 gauge. The Strat pickup doesn't sound too bad but the Tele pickup sounds absolutely terrible.

I wired the first two with 28 gauge hookup wire but I used bus wire legs on the last one and it's a lot less work.
                      I should have located the holes for the bus wire on a larger area of the Tele flat work. That way I could have used brass eyelets

I still cant imagine the JB low wind T bridge sounding anything close to "full" in a Tele ash tray bridge but we'll see.

Comment

Good News for Strat and Tele Blade Pickup Winders!
                        Mojo has some new plated blades that really caught my eye, and at a pretty good price.
                        I am particularly interested in the new blades with top overhang.
                        This makes the blade edge long enough and adequate for Tele Bridge Pickups.
                        Here is the link, and the dimensions.
                        Slugs & Blades
                        2115486/2115487 19.3mm H x 57.3mm L x 1.5mm W
                        2115488/2115489 21mm H x 57.3mm L x 1.5mm W. The top over hang adds to the total Length making it 64mm.
                        B_T

** Also eventually we have been promised a vintage white half moon bobbin.
                        These will look great on a light colored strat pickguard.
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X