Amp Speaker Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Speaker Swap

Hi, what would happen if I put a 12 inch speaker in place of the 8 inch one in my 20 watt amp?

Thank You

It would have a bigger speaker in it.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      No doubt..., but would it work properly?
      Would a 12 inch speaker be too much load for an amp that had an 8 inch speaker?
      Would I get a deeper richer sound or a weeker sound.
      Would it burn out my amp?

Comment

Nothing will explode so long as the impedance of the new speaker matches that of the old one... In regards to sound, the bass response will probably be a lot better depending on the replacement speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Heh, heh, heh.
          Wise ass

Comment

Hope you went well into 2012 !
            Tough job, tough day, tough world. Life is not always sweet. That's life!

Comment

Would probably sound "better", specially if the original one is of the "as cheap as possible" category.
              Problem is, I doubt it would fit inside the case.
              Maybe it pays to build an extra 12" cabinet (or get one ready built, much easier), add an output jack to your 20W combo (it should disconnect the internal speaker) and use it just as a "head".
              If you match impedance and use a proper guitar speaker (not a Car type one) all will be fine.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

FWIW... To the OP and others... What I meant to imply with my brevity was that it wouldn't be a problem to have a bigger speaker in the amp. All things like rated load impedance being equal. Of course I also intended to be a wise a$$ but knowing that this topic would be detailed here. I meant no slight.

I've never seen an amp with an 8" speaker that had room inside to change to a 12" speaker. But if you do have room I say why not. The bigger speaker will sound, uh, bigger. More air moving, more bottom end, etc. And as noted it will probably be a better quality speaker so it will likely sound better inhearently. Also, moving more air is more efficient already (=louder) and 12" speakers tend to be MUCH more efficient than 8" speakers. If you choose a speaker with a very high efficiency you could expect the appearent loudness of the amp to go waaay up. So, if it will fit I just don't see a down side other than the expense of a speaker.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

+1and add.
                  Many who claim "Tube watts are *much* bigger than SS watts" often fail to state that they compare your typical 15W beginnerīs amp using a 90db/W 8" speaker and 4 ounce magnet , packaged in a 10" by 10" by 6" open backed box, to an also 15W AC15 or Matchless Spitfire driving 2 x 12" Vox Blue $300 speakers or a Greenback+V30 pair, about 10dB more efficient, and at least 4X the radiating surface, with 20 or 40X the magnet weight.
                  Oh well.
                  So, in a nutshell, you will gain with the substitution.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica1988 View Post
                    Hope you went well into 2012 !
                    Why thank you Jes'. Yes I did, I intered into the new year dancing, praising, and thanking. I hope you and yours also have a Blessed year!

Comment

Just want to say, I love this forum. Thanks to all the responders for your valued input, even Chuck..., I enjoy a good wise crack now and again. Happy (and I mean that) new year to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratlingun View Post
                        Why thank you Jes'. Yes I did, I intered into the new year dancing, praising, and thanking. I hope you and yours also have a Blessed year!
                        We was bangin pots & pans!

Comment

Originally posted by Stratlingun View Post
                          even Chuck...
                          Man... If I had a nickel for every time I heard that!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X