Tweed Preamps(5E5 vs 5E5A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed Preamps(5E5 vs 5E5A)

Im currently playing Tweed Pro(5E5-A) that I built myself using the best parts. I started this project in an attempt to capture real tweed tone. I'm currently getting some tone that was once unattainable. Its sounding seriously good. I've settled on a '59 P15N(straight cone), real NOS Tung Sol 5881 at 30 watts, GE preamp tubes, 6.6K Mercury OT, and your usual Sprague, carbon comp, switchcraft, etc...

My only gripe is that the treble can be difficult to dial in. When set high, its not so much the treble as it is the increase in gain and grit. When set lower, everything is smoother yet a little sterile. I do play a very twangy tele, granted. The 5E5a carries a fairly unique preamp, where as the 5E5 carries a more traditional tweed preamp.

All else being equal in my fixed bias 5E5A, what sort of effect would a 5E5/5E3 style preamp have? Would it drive more or less? More or less treble on tap? More or less dynamic?

Originally posted by EETStudent View Post
    what sort of effect would a 5E5/5E3 style preamp have? Would it drive more or less? More or less treble on tap? More or less dynamic?
    Remember that the 5E5 preamp is different from a 5E3 preamp. The 5E5 utilises 'parallel' triodes whereby when one grid is grounded, the idle current of that triode affects the dynamic operation of the other triode. This doesn't happen with a 5E3. Also there is no hi/lo filter at the 5E5 inputs. As to the treble 'imbalance' in the 5E3 'tone-stack', I prefer it when the tone knob is pointing more towards 'treble'.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Neil Young noticed the vol ctrl interaction long ago and had a motorized vol installed for one channel so he could remotely change the setting.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

The E Series (that's what Duncan calls it) tone controls are an interactive mess. You don't get much boost from the center position but there is lots of cut available. The bass and treble interact quite a but which makes dialing in the treble hard when you have adjusted the bass. There are a few component variations between different models. Have you tried any of those? The 5E5 is fairly limited by comparison, but just seems to be centered in a useful range. The one drawback is the lack of bass adjustment which makes it hard to switch between single coils and humbuckers.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
        X