slack in coil wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slack in coil wire?

i have wound about 20 pickups and cannot seem to keep the coil wire from getting loose along the bobbins or outer edge of coil when winding. please help, matt

Welcome Dixie:
    If your winding single coils, make sure the flatwork edges are sanded smooth.
    Make sure the wire is not grabbing something on the edges.
    Make sure the wire guide stops are set narrower than the flatwork winding area.
    If it still happens, Make sure the spool edges are smooth, And Try flipping the wire spool over and feeding off the other end.
    Give us more info on what type pickups your winding.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Make sure the wire guide stops are set narrower than the flatwork winding area.
      That right there... even for humbuckers.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

i am building stumac strat kits & there 42awg poly wire. i did build a HB kit & it wound up fine. my wire guides are set so they are just to the inside of the bobbins edge. i can feel when my windings snag so i have setup accordingly. really up to edge without touching. thank you, matt

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd winder 1st proto.11-2011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	823824here are some bad photos of my winder.
          Last edited by 1dixie5; 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I have had that happen before.
            You may need to work on your flatwork more before you assemble it.
            I take each piece and prep it on a slow moving sander.
            make sure each edge is straight and smooth, and not bowed.
            Check the spool, you can sand the edges of the spool.
            Good Luck,
            Terry
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Terry, is there a suggested distance for the traverse in relation to the bobbin & maybe the angle in which the wire goes from traverse to bobbin? im maybe 3'' away & maybe 20 degrees angling upward to bobbin. also, does it matter if the wire goes over the top or under the bobbins ends while spinning? thanks, matt

Comment

Originally posted by 1dixie5 View Post
                Terry, is there a suggested distance for the traverse in relation to the bobbin & maybe the angle in which the wire goes from traverse to bobbin? im maybe 3'' away & maybe 20 degrees angling upward to bobbin. also, does it matter if the wire goes over the top or under the bobbins ends while spinning? thanks, matt
                I always wind over the top of the bobbin going away from me.
                Here's a link to a thread that has some videos of winding.
                I have watched them several times, I usually pick up something each time I watch them.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24304/
                I have my traverse stops about a 8 inches from the winder and below the bobbin maybe 6 inches.
                Make sure they are in line with the bobbin.
                Have you tried flipping and moving the location of the Wire Spool.
                Most put the wire on the floor below.
                I like mine about 4-6 Foot behind me.
                I have the wire dispenser attached to a small rolling table.
                I can put it wherever I like.
                I bet the wire is riding against a sharp edge or snagging on something.
                Which side of the flatwork do you put the eyelets on?
                You want them on the bottom of the flatwork, or the wire will try to grab the eyelets.
                Also which side is the loose wire on?
                Is it next to the bottom or top flatwork?
                Terry
                Notice on the eyelets in the picture below.
                The eyelet side would be the bottom side of the pickup.
                You would solder the wires on the bottom of the pickup.

Name:	Mojotone-Strat-Flatwork-Top-and-Bottom-Set-for-187-dia-magnets-image.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	823822
                Terry

Comment

i have the eyelet setting tool & extra eyelets, i set them from the top with the fat side ending up on the bottom. i have noticed this loose wire on both sides mostly on the bottom. im proud of my winder but cosidering a sidewinder until i can solve this issue. i think my prep is pretty good? im going to post some pics & maybe you can look it over. thank you for your time & advise, matt p.s. does it matter if magnitize 1st or last.

Name:	winder #1.bmp
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	823825

Name:	winder#2.bmp
ID:	823826

Name:	winder3.bmp
ID:	823827

Name:	#4.bmp
ID:	823828
                  Last edited by David Schwab; 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM. Reason: edited to make easier to read

Comment

Yes there is a relation to the traverse angle.

Although my traverse is much different than yours I ran into this problem on Strat and Humbuckers. Although, it was a little less on Strat bobbins do to the angle increase caused by the wider Strat bobbin. I kept having the problem although my wire stops were within .010" of bobbin edges, my bobbin runout was .005", and I run high enough tension to eliminate alot of the bulge on the coil.

On my winder the my tension is mechanical and I can run an auto traverse or hand guide. Hell bent on fixing the issue I decided to space my travers a little higher. Ooops. I forgot to mention. My traverse is with 2 inches or so from the bobbin if the bobbin is pointing right at the traverse.

The decision to space the bobbin came from this thought.

If everything is up to par and my angle is the problem I believed the spinning bobbin pulled a turn of wire quick enough to lose tension as it travels over the traverse. This created a bit of slack before the next turn. The following turn would overlap and create the "jumper" wire... I called them jumpers for some reason.

I raised my traverse .5" and the problem went away but it increased my tension beyond usable. I dropped it down to a .25" and haven't had any problems since.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks Kev, "jumpers", thats a good description & good advise. i thank you & im planning my next move. matt

Comment

[ATTACH]16696[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16697[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16698[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16699[/ATTACH]i have the eyelet setting tool & extra eyelets, i set them from the top with the fat side ending up on the bottom. i have noticed this loose wire on both sides mostly on the bottom. im proud of my winder but cosidering a sidewinder until i can solve this issue. i think my prep is pretty good? im going to post some pics & maybe you can look it over. thank you for your time & advise, matt p.s. does it matter if magnitize 1st or last.
                        I'm not sure I'm reading your description correctly but the eyelets should be flat on the inside of the bobbin otherwise they will snag the coil wire. Also check your speed, if you go too fast the tension will not be controllable.

Comment

well im buying the stumac & mojo kits. the eyelets are already installed and sometimes they are loose, so i pop them with the tool and i make that the top or coil side with the large side of eyelet ends up on underside. also i will put a piece 0 tape over my eyelets before i begin. can you wind under the bob. opposed to coil wire feeding over the top? how long should it take to put 8,000 turns on? thank you, matt

Comment

Geezus just wack the eyelets with a hammer n flatten em out. Don't wind too fast.

Comment

Working...
                            X