5f1 low volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5f1 low volume?

Hey guys, I purchased a 5f1 clone off ebay and the amp worked fine for a few days when all of a sudden the volume drops considerably. Now I know it's not to loud an amp but the volume was alot better than it is now. Ive since replaced the tubes,cathode resister and bypass cap,check all the soldering joints (especially the input and output jacks)and reflowed the solder to suspect looking joints.Checked out the tube sockets for any dirt or loose pin holders. I took some voltage readings as well. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to point me next?

Rectifier tube, Pin 8=345vdc

Power tube, P3=337vdc, P4=311vdc, P8=19.5vdc

12ax7, P1=174.5vdc, P6=173.5vdc, P3=1.53vdc, P8=1.44vdc.

Chuck.

Anyone?

Comment

Did you check coupling caps and ground connections?

I just had a similar issue with one of my Champs. After spending three days of my spare time checking and rechecking connections and replacing suspect parts, I decided to tack in a different OT. The OT is not generally the first place I would look but, it only took me ten minutes to solder in and guess what!

BTW. If you don't mind me asking, where are you in Canada? I'm in Edmonton.

Comment

Voltages look ok. That make me suspect a problem in the signal path. Either input jack to 12AX7, to-from the volume control, 12AX7 to 6V6, or OT to speaker jack. Is the signal that you do get clean or distorted with the volume control all the way up? Does the volume control still control the volume and can you turn the signal down to nothing? Do you have a layout of the amp? Ohm any connections that have wires that run under the board that may have become disconnected.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Hey guys, i found the problem, bad solder joint on the vol pot, reflowed the solder and everything is back to normal.Thanks for your replies,much appreciated.
          Hey Jar, I'm here in Newfoundland.

Chuck.

Comment

Glad you fixed it!

Our drummer is from NL.

Comment

Working...
            X