Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme-Non-Sense-Experiment with magnetic pull...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme-Non-Sense-Experiment with magnetic pull...

Hi Guys,

I was thinking in everything i heard about magnetic pull. I know it exists in some degree, and I know it should affect the tone, but I decided to make a quick XTREME-experiment.

I took a bobbin and put 6 Neodymium rods on it. The bobbin was wound for a PAF style pickup, so it had a few turns. But i wasn't concerned about tone, I just wanted to test if there was a great loss of sustain or not...

I put the bobbin on a strat style guitar and filled everything with masking tape (the guitar looked very funny).

This experiment was just to test if it was an effect, i don't think it's a good idea to make a neodymium singlecoil.

First chord... Unplugged...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...

Second chord... Clean...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...

Third chord... Overdrive...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...

Fourth chord... Unplugged, but taking the bobbin off...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...

I didn't noticed any sustain loss... and I used neodymium rods...

What happened??? Should I make more experiments??? Am I insane???

Greetings!
    Ben

PS: Next time i'll measure the exact sustain times with an oscilloscope...

I've been using neodynium for a while now. I have noticed that the loss in sustain is much bigger in the neck position than it is in the bridge. Actually, I can't hear a loss at all when the neodynium is in the bridge but I have never really tested to see how much loss in sustain there is, this was more of a casual observation.

Comment

Originally posted by corduroyew View Post
      I've been using neodynium for a while now. I have noticed that the loss in sustain is much bigger in the neck position than it is in the bridge. Actually, I can't hear a loss at all when the neodynium is in the bridge but I have never really tested to see how much loss in sustain there is, this was more of a casual observation.
      That makes sense. In the neck position, the magnets have more leverage on the strings.

Did the magnetic pull also cause wolf tones?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
        That makes sense. In the neck position, the magnets have more leverage on the strings.

Did the magnetic pull also cause wolf tones?
        Yes and no. I've only used neo magnets in humbuckers and I've found that if I use rods then I have to keep the pickup a little lower than normal single coil pickup to avoid wolf tones. When bar magnets I have to keep the pickup just a little lower than a standard humbucker. So there are wolf tones, but they are not that bad. People that like their pickups a little on the low side would never have a problem. Metal heads that put the pickup as close to the strings as possible would find that they need to keep the pickup a little lower.

The real problem with Neodynium is that if you use a trem you have to adjust the pickup quite low so that the strings don't get sucked into the magnets when you dive bomb.

Comment

i can imagine that a strong magnet in the bridge would effect the higher harmonics but not the fundamental so much, and probably the opposite with the neck, or atleast much more of an effect with the fundamental

Comment

Yeah,

Maybe using Neopickups in the neck position will ruin sustain more than anything. I'll make some experiments and tell you how it works.

Comment

Working...
            X